• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NCSU Mathfin

Can Anyone throw some light on the mathematical finance program offered by North Carolina State University?

How are the career prospects, curriculum and whether it is worth going for?

I am not a fin math student but I study Operations Research at NCSU and have had a decent interaction with fin-math students.

The fin math program at NCSU is decent, but in my opinion, suffers heavily (highlight heavily) from not being in or around NYC or Chicago, etc. Charlotte is a financial centre in ways if that is some compensation. Fin Math is one of the few programs at NCSU which does have career services, so I guess that helps. They are definitely improving in terms of placements but I still know that some students end up taking jobs in their native countries.

The program covers all esentials of a Financial Math program, note: not Financial Engineering. Many courses are mathematically rigorous and you will gain a level of mathematical understanding which you might not in other Fin Engg programs(including Columbia). There are courses which cover programming languages for financial math applications like pricing and interest rate models. People generally take up statistics courses and then get into risk analysis and the like.

Overall, I would say that one should prefer universities in and around NYC/Chicago/Boston because your main concern is getting a job, but the program here is showing potential and I do see better placements coming in the future.

Thanks

Back