• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Need help preparing for Goldman Sachs strats interview

I interviewed with GS for a strats role. My background is in mechanical engineering. During the two interviews I had, the questions focused mostly around (a) puzzles based around probability, stats and P&C. Similar to questions in heard on wall street (b) algorithms like finding if there exists a pair in an array whose sum is equal to a certain number.

1) Math (calculus, probability, statistics, brainteasers), CS (algorithms, data structures, OOP, brainteasers), finance (depends on group - product specific knowledge like fixed income, FX, equities)

2) One week is really not enough to do thorough prep. I found I needed 3-4 weeks at least, and I have a CS background.

3) For data structures you will need a CS book. Data Structures and Algorithms in Java is a good one (It's in Java but the language is not relevant)

Get the books: Programming Interviews Exposed, Cracking the Coding Interview, and A Practical Guide to Quantitative Finance Interviews. Also get the 150 Most Frequently Asked Questions book. The three quant interview 'bibles' are the red (Heard On The Street), yellow (150 Most), and green (Practical Huide) books. Seems like you already have the red book.

5) Pure speculation based on past experience here. I think the norm is anywhere from 2-4 rounds plus a phone screen interview. You might meet 2-3 people per round for 4 rounds or get it over with in 2 rounds (6-7 people each). The further you go the more senior people you meet. Typically the interviews go from most technical to least technical. Senior people usually ask more fit and 'soft' questions but might throw in a technical question or two. They don't necessarily get easier or harder but remember that the more senior the interviewer, the more influence they usually have over the hiring decision.

Hi mhy!
Thanks for the tips. I am Chem PhD working at Intel. I was wondering if I have a shot at getting an offer from Goldman Sachs. All the blog post I have read talk about hoe you need not be a maths or CS expert to get in but since you have worked in that industry, really wanted to know your opinion. Thanks a lot.
Also, qwer ty, I hope you got the job.

1) Math (calculus, probability, statistics, brainteasers), CS (algorithms, data structures, OOP, brainteasers), finance (depends on group - product specific knowledge like fixed income, FX, equities)

2) One week is really not enough to do thorough prep. I found I needed 3-4 weeks at least, and I have a CS background.

3) For data structures you will need a CS book. Data Structures and Algorithms in Java is a good one (It's in Java but the language is not relevant)

Get the books: Programming Interviews Exposed, Cracking the Coding Interview, and A Practical Guide to Quantitative Finance Interviews. Also get the 150 Most Frequently Asked Questions book. The three quant interview 'bibles' are the red (Heard On The Street), yellow (150 Most), and green (Practical Huide) books. Seems like you already have the red book.

5) Pure speculation based on past experience here. I think the norm is anywhere from 2-4 rounds plus a phone screen interview. You might meet 2-3 people per round for 4 rounds or get it over with in 2 rounds (6-7 people each). The further you go the more senior people you meet. Typically the interviews go from most technical to least technical. Senior people usually ask more fit and 'soft' questions but might throw in a technical question or two. They don't necessarily get easier or harder but remember that the more senior the interviewer, the more influence they usually have over the hiring decision.

Your question is too vague. What are your skills, what are the roles at Goldman Sachs you are targeting, how well do your skills and experience line up with the requirements for those roles, and what kind of interview prep have you been doing?

Back