• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE NYU-Poly vs. Fordham MSQF

Hello all,

I'm trying to decide between NYU-Poly and Fordham's MSQF program.
Here is the situation. Both are offering scholarships. But fordham added a GA-ship to the deal.
Does anyone know how these two programs compare? It seems it is very difficult to obtain stats/facts about either program.

From a pure program prospective, Poly has a much more flexible program with a richer selection of courses. But judging from previous posts, teaching and job prospects are poor. Can anyone affirm or disprove this? (By the way, does anyone know how big the classes are at Poly?)
Obviously, this wide selection comes as the expense of people having to fight for the most popular classes. At fordham, everyone just takes the same stuff, so no registration stress.

Secondly, the GA-ship at fordham seems like a good opportunity to gain some research experience, and networking with professors. I just don't know how valuable GA-ships are to Wall St. firms/hedge funds.

Thanks for your replies in advance

I don't think anyone would be able to compare the programs vis-a-vis since nobody graduated from both. Everything is pretty much hearsay when it comes to these less mentioned programs. In a sense, you are throwing darts in the dark here.
My advice would be to get as much info as you can from both program's administrators. The internship/placement stats are best obtained from the program, not through some 3rd parties.

The ability to ask/answer tough questions are valued so you should exercise your rights as a paying student now.

My understanding of both programs is that they are not where they want to be yet. It will get tougher before it gets easier so be mindful of the shortcomings. Many students find it challenging in a program dominated by fresh graduates from China/India as is often the cases in some MFE programs.

Have you try talking to students at both programs? Also search on LinkedIn to see what some alumni from the programs are doing.

As you will read elsewhere I've heard very bad things about Fordham, and they never responded to any of my questions in order to explain themselves.

yes, Richard Phu did give very informative answers. It is partly due to his answers that I am having a difficult time deciding.
My searched in LinkedIn were not very fruitful. There are very few people on there from either school that have any jobs.
Two former students from MSQF found good positions at some foreign banks. I only saw one person from Poly w. a job, and that was a sales position. I think the sample size is too small for me to make a judgement based on this.

@CrazyRussian,

Have you considered reapplying next year. There is nothing to be ashamed of if you did not land your dream MFE program this year.
Giving it another try next year, with better credentials, definitely is an option.

Paul

My searched in LinkedIn were not very fruitful. There are very few people on there from either school that have any jobs.
Two former students from MSQF found good positions at some foreign banks. I only saw one person from Poly w. a job, and that was a sales position. I think the sample size is too small for me to make a judgement based on this.
Your search skill is not at the ninja level yet.
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1159407&mostPopular=&trk=tyah
From any of this contact, there is a spiderweb of contact that should allow you to reach almost any target.

Yes, but joining that group requires approval. Since I am not an alumnus, that might not be so easy... lol

Back