• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE NYU Tandon MFE vs UPENN CIS

It is quite a weird comparison... but let me explain

I am holding a B.S., major in both Math/CS and Economics from a small Atlanta based school. I am interested in a career in computing finance, yet I do not know much about the field since Emory is not a major feeder school in the field. I am also attempting CFA level 2.

I am quite confused on what I should do in order to prepare my career. I am interested in programming, particularly in machine learning field and I am also interested in the financial industry. Financial engineering sounds right for me, but I am far from understanding the industry and if it is really for me.

I am now having a few options for my next step. Upenn gave me a seat in the M.S.E Computer and Information Science program, and it has some strong Machine Learning faculties. It is a ten course program and I believe I can have two transferred in since I took some extra graduate level ML and numerical classes during undergrad school. There is also some great research opportunity there, even in Computational Finance. I believe the program can build me a strong foundation in programming and skill in ML. Also the cost of living in Philly is much cheaper than in NYC. Since many jobs in the financial engineering industry are open to CS students, it seems like a valid yet "curved" option. Obviously, a CS program does not place much emphasize on some skill and knowledge in finance.

Also, I just got an offer from NYU Tandon MFE. It seems like an once mediocre yet recently improving program. Comparing to CS, after graduating from an MFE program I have a much limited choice in career. If I found not very interested in MFE, I am basically stuck; however, if I graduated from a CS program I can always find a variety of options. Also, it seems the number of MFE students is increasing crazily these years. Combining with a more limited choice in career, MFE seems quite risky to me in order to find a job. Tandon's MFE had a placement rate that is not very good in the history, and I am not sure what is going to happen after two years. The cost of living and tuition is much higher compared to Penn's CS program, even after a $7000 scholarship.

I am also admitted to a few other CS program, and waiting for a few other programs. But choosing between a more generic CS program and a more industry specific MFE program is really a hard decision for me.

do you want to study machine learning or quantitative finance?
Honestly, I believe that is the core of the question.

From personal interest, I like both topic and do not have a strong preference for one over the other. So, which field has greater potential might be important to make a decision

Heyy,I got an Admit Of NYU Tandon School Of Engineering.I got to know this Program is improving since Dr.Peter Carr has taken over charge as a Director.And New Placement Director.Still I'm skeptic about the Job Prospects and Reputation of School in Current Market Industry.Hence Please help me with this

Heyy,I got an Admit Of NYU Tandon School Of Engineering.I got to know this Program is improving since Dr.Peter Carr has taken over charge as a Director.And New Placement Director.Still I'm skeptic about the Job Prospects and Reputation of School in Current Market Industry.Hence Please help me with this
do you have any other choice?

Honestly, I believe that is the core of the question.

From personal interest, I like both topic and do not have a strong preference for one over the other. So, which field has greater potential might be important to make a decision
gotta make a choice, lol

Back