• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE NYU Tandon MFE vs UW Seattle CFRM vs UIUC MSFE

Which one do you recommend

• NYU Tandon MFE

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • UW Seattle CFRM

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • UIUC MSFE

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
Hi all, I got admissions from these three programs and I am looking for some suggestions on deciding which program to attend. I have some thoughts about these programs as following.

NYU Tandon has been changing since it introduced its new program director, career placement director and new faculty. The great location of NYC is advantageous. The large cohort gives us large alumni network but also more fierce competition. I was just wondering if only the top-ranked students from the program can grab the resources. I believe the program has huge potential, but I am not sure what we new students can achieve in its early period of transition. The program does not have a very good reputation in the past, and I heard that some hiring managers will have discrimination over Tandon (Poly), which I am quite concerned about.

CFRM is under the Applied Math Department which is quite prestigious, so I believe the curriculum should be solid. The class size is small (around 30), so the individual student should get more dedicated and tailored career service and personal development assistance from the program. The extensive instruction of R language can be both good (be specialized in one language) and bad (R may be not as commonly used as C++). Seattle is really a good place to study and live in, however, there are not many job opportunities related to quantitative finance. As the placement statistics on CFRM website shows, there are not many big names and some jobs are not related. Location and placement (for fantastic and decent jobs) is the only drawback I concern in this case.

As for UIUC MSFE, I heard that students can take courses offered in computer science and CS is strong in UIUC. The curriculum is quite solid. UIUC is not that far from Chicago and maybe job opportunities is not bad compared to UW.

I am looking forward to seeing your options. Thanks.

Back