• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

offer compare: Nomura S&T option desk VS blackrock PAG, active investment analytics (NY)

Greatly appreciate your opinion here. Little bit about me, non-target school with 1.25 yr working experience at a BB in quantitative analytics role. BR pay slightly less than NM. But its not a concern for me.

I like both opportunities and I know they drive me towards completely different directions. The struggle is like this:
Blackrock > Nomura
S&T > PAG

Any input from you guys?

what do you mean by "analytics"? do you mean report-churning-monkey?
though nomura is a shitty bank, s&t is definitely better than pag which is more like a backoffice job.

what do you mean by "analytics"? do you mean report-churning-monkey?
though nomura is a shitty bank, s&t is definitely better than pag which is more like a backoffice job.
Oh, I do some programming(OOP and scripting), stats analysis and price modeling work for current position.

PAG is a big group, the team is active investment analytics to be more specific. It looks like more modeling job, which is not a bad thing for me.

you sure about that? i only know pmg is front office and they do real investment analytics.

you sure about that? i only know pmg is front office and they do real investment analytics.
I am not concerned about Front/back office. probably I should ask, which skillset give me more leverage in the future?

If you choose BlackRock purely because you think BlackRock > Nomura, then you have the wrong mindset in my opinion. Care more about personal growth rather than brand name to advance your career more/faster. In terms of the role, know nothing about BlackRock and know that Nomura is a small fish in the options pond

J

If you choose BlackRock purely because you think BlackRock > Nomura, then you have the wrong mindset in my opinion. Care more about personal growth rather than brand name to advance your career more/faster. In terms of the role, know nothing about BlackRock and know that Nomura is a small fish in the options pond

J

You mean USD rates option or equity option?

Which Blackrock? The fund or the fintech division? Huge difference.

BlackRock purely because you think BlackRock > Nomura, then you have the wrong mindset in my opinion. Care more about personal growth rather than brand name to advance your career more/faster. In terms of the role, know nothing about BlackRock and know that Nomura is a small fish in the options pond

J
Thanks for your tips! I asked some friends for their opinions last night. Its like, Japanese Banks are big player in the rates trading due to their "weird taste" of US treasury. They are primary rates dealer(also same for some BB but not my bank). I guess its something.

For BLK, the group is highly valued by their management due to their strategy focus and client-facing nature(they deal with PM inside and out side). Also when I interviewed, the asso did a project that even presented in front of C-level people in blk.

Both jobs get terrible work-life balance. I guess I did not expect better than what I am doing right now, so it is fine.

What do you think given the information?

What's your current bank analytics job more specifically? I honestly wouldn't get hyped up over presenting a project in front of whoever... I'd rather make money trading and earn a good bonus. Not sure if Nomura offers that. I'm still not convinced Nomura has anywhere near as much presence as other bulge bracket banks.

What's your current bank analytics job more specifically? I honestly wouldn't get hyped up over presenting a project in front of whoever... I'd rather make money trading and earn a good bonus. Not sure if Nomura offers that. I'm still not convinced Nomura has anywhere near as much presence as other bulge bracket banks.

You are right, NMR does not have a good presence in N.A.

NMR pays a lot more than BLK, lol. Yup, I just realized.

But BLK has opportunities moves into PM. (not mentioned by manager but I found out several ppl did this on linkedin. )

Any thoughts?

But BLK has opportunities moves into PM. (not mentioned by manager but I found out several ppl did this on linkedin. )

Any thoughts?

How often do they move to PM from the inside? What's the turnover ratio? How often has it happened recently? Take those things into consideration.

Nomura. Also relevant to know that because it's not regulated as a bank, they are able to link compensation explicitly to pnl from risk-taking for bookrunners, which other banks cannot do under Volcker.

How often do they move to PM from the inside? What's the turnover ratio? How often has it happened recently? Take those things into consideration.

Thanks for the tips.
From what I saw, I would say there is a fair chance. But it needs timing thing. so....

Nomura. Also relevant to know that because it's not regulated as a bank, they are able to link compensation explicitly to pnl from risk-taking for bookrunners, which other banks cannot do under Volcker.

You are right. They have prop capability for the desk I would be working at. I am more inclining to nmr given I get to know how little blk's pay.

BLK is at least 20k below street level from base when I asked several people from PAG and FMG. Bonus like a joke. No offense.

You are right. They have prop capability for the desk I would be working at. I am more inclining to nmr given I get to know how little blk's pay.

BLK is at least 20k below street level from base when I asked several people from PAG and FMG. Bonus like a joke. No offense.
You got your decision. Good luck!

Back