• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Part time study & career vs funded full time PhD

Hi,

I'm a longtime reader posting for the first time... would appreciate any insight into the situation

Here's my background:
I am a junior equity research analyst at a respectable shop, having received an undergraduate degree from a top target institution, with a major in Economics and a minor in Maths. I followed a fairly standard route (internship -> graduate programme) into finance so far.

Now, here's the situation:
After a couple of years in traditional finance, I was getting fairly tired of publishing "fundamental research". As a result, I enrolled in a part-time Master's programme in Applied Maths, in hope of moving towards quantitative finance over the medium term. Despite this being at a non-target institution, I was fairly confident that I could leverage on my job experience/undergrad to transition towards a quant role/decent PhD programme over time.

However, recently, by chance/networking, I was offered a fully funded MSc & PhD in Computational Finance at a top 30 programme (which is obviously a lower calibre than my undergraduate institution). On the upside though, it is in an area which I would have chosen to research anyway, should I have decided to pursue a doctorate.

With the enrollment deadline fast approaching, I am having a bit of a headache over the opportunity cost of taking this programme.

1. (I would like to think) There's a good chance that I will be able to transition towards a quantitative role over time, especially after my MSc, without having to do a PhD - I just need to endure a few more years of the current job

2. Assuming I maintain my current academic performance, there is a good chance that I will be able to secure a funded PhD at a better institution after my MSc.

The questions I would like to ask:

1. Am I being too optimistic, when thinking that I will be able to transition into a decent quant role with just this MSc?

2. Is it irrational to turn down the aforementioned MSc & PhD opportunity (as well as a couple of years of my time), for the flexibility/potentially better PhD?

3. Is it feasible to return to a respectable shop as a quant after studying a PhD at a top 30 institution?

Thanks for reading until the end - this befuddled junior would appreciate any constructive comments/criticism offered by the community here at quantnet.

why do you care about prestige of the institution for your PhD? isn't the topic, and the potential advisor, the potential location of the school much more important?

Given my intention to return to finance after my PhD, I'm concerned re-entering the workforce as a quant will be significantly harder with a weaker school brand. I experienced the snobbery on the street when applying out of undergrad, and I'm under the impression that this is worse for a quant position.

Back