• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Partial Differential Equations - Online course?

I see there have been a few posts here aobut taking PDE online.
I really am so busy I don't have the time to take it near me, on campus.
Is there any current online course/uni that offers it? I know Stanford does.
I called Michigan Tech, whose offered it in the past, but unfortunately won't offer it for another year :-(

Just curious.

Thanks for the link above.
Never head of the school, has anyone taken the class there?
Is it reputable?

It's reputable in the sense that any Canadian Univ would accept undergraduate credits taken there for transfer credit. Internationally, I doubt anyone would have heard of it.

A friend took Calc 1 & 2 there, and it was as usual for Canadian undergraduate programs - taught from Stewarts book with the usual coverage.

That's all I know.

Hi I just want to know is this course open to student outside of Columbia University. If so, could you please tell me how to apply for it. I would really appreciate it.
Does the course have a syllabus? I was unable to find one..

Sorry, my bad. I sure hope they do Burgers' equation.

I know what PDEs does to men's souls.

Tis but a trifling detail. I've been looking at these online math courses ever since you mentioned there was no syllabus for the PDE course. None I've looked at so far have given a syllabus. They are very anxious, however, to get your email and contact details. It seems they're in the business of selling credentials, with the pitch being -- accompanied by pictures of smiling stress-free "students" with books cradled in their arms -- that the credential will get you that corner office. But studying PDEs, and indeed studying anything mathematical, induces stress and is a hard slog.

Tis but a trifling detail. I've been looking at these online math courses ever since you mentioned there was no syllabus for the PDE course. None I've looked at so far have given a syllabus. They are very anxious, however, to get your email and contact details. It seems they're in the business of selling credentials, with the pitch being -- accompanied by pictures of smiling stress-free "students" with books cradled in their arms -- that the credential will get you that corner office. But studying PDEs, and indeed studying anything mathematical, induces stress and is a hard slog.
Yeah, I clicked on the links and then all of a sudden on Linkedin, requesting me to pay 200 bucks for some reason. Then I got an email.

How is that possible?

Last edited:
Glad other people feel this way. I cant stand LinkedIn.

From our friend Google:
https://web.cvn.columbia.edu/www4/PDE_Syllabus_S10.pdf

Its a few years old so the info might have changed but at least here's an idea of the topics. The professor is also different so this might be to far out of date to trust.

Thanks for the syllabus:)

The content was (is?) 1st/2nd year math undergraduate and not very original to be honest. It's fairly standard textbook stuff. Most of is interesting of course and essential. *However* I would like to see more:

. It misses out on more interesting PDEs and methods.
. No numerical PDEs and discrete approximations.
. Separation of variables is next to useless in real life.
. The PDEs are linear and no mention of convection-diffusion (like Black Scholes).

my 2 cents

Out of curiosity, what does the course cost?

From our friend Google:

LOL, but does the original link have the syllabus?

Last edited:
Back