• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Partial Differential Equations - Online course?

syllabus for first course of pde never changes that much... despite pricey tuition, columbia cvn is very legit and probably has the best engineering degrees one can take online, especially for someone who manages to make employer pay all or most of it.

Out of curiosity, what does the course cost?

From our friend Google:

LOL, but does the original link have the syllabus?

I didn't see it anywhere but I didn't dig too hard. The page was fairly barren for trying to rope people into paying non-matriculating tuition. I just googled the course number and found the older one and kind of assumed it wouldn't have changed too much.

syllabus for first course of pde never changes that much... despite pricey tuition, columbia cvn is very legit and probably has the best engineering degrees one can take online, especially for someone who manages to make employer pay all or most of it.
"expensive, but good".
??

Based on the syllabus IMO 5K too expensive.
Agreed. Not trying to push my Alma Mater too hard or anything but Texas A&M offers an applied PDE class online as well through their applied mathematics program, which is comparably ranked with Columbia on the US News lists. It might not have the brand name, but it would be about $4500 cheaper and the experience would be comparable. If you're still looking I believe you could take it for right around $1000 as a non-matriculating student.

Here's a syllabus I found on Google: http://www.math.tamu.edu/~snpolloc/math602/sy602.pdf

Last edited:
Agreed. Not trying to push my Alma Mater too hard or anything but Texas A&M offers an applied PDE class online as well through their applied mathematics program, which is comparably ranked with Columbia on the US News lists. It might not have the brand name, but it would be about $4500 cheaper and the experience would be comparable. If you're still looking I believe you could take it for right around $1000 as a non-matriculating student.

Here's a syllabus I found on Google: http://www.math.tamu.edu/~snpolloc/math602/sy602.pdf
Looks more reasonable. The syllabus is similar to the other one.

I don't see why the university where you learn PDE should matter, within reason; in fairness, the course is not rocket science. In my case it was a couple of modules in 1st/2nd year as undergrad. We called it Mathematical Methods 131, 231.

Last edited:

Hi Levi,

Is this course still offered online?

Hi there,

I have an Accounting and Finance background and am planning to apply for MFE. I need to take some math courses to develop my maths background. I need to take partial differential equations, linear algebra, linear analysis and some advanced statistic courses. I have graduated already so, I am no longer on student aid. Can anyone suggest any cheap fast track affordable online courses that could be financed out of pockets from a regular day job.

I'll greatly appreciate some specific courses and suggestions here.

Thanks so much

I see there have been a few posts here aobut taking PDE online.
I really am so busy I don't have the time to take it near me, on campus.
Is there any current online course/uni that offers it? I know Stanford does.
I called Michigan Tech, whose offered it in the past, but unfortunately won't offer it for another year :-(

Just curious.

The SUMS book by Olver is also a great first text on PDEs.

https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Differential-Equations-Undergraduate-Mathematics/dp/3319020986

Hi there,

I have an Accounting and Finance background and am planning to apply for MFE. I need to take some math courses to develop my maths background. I need to take partial differential equations, linear algebra, linear analysis and some advanced statistic courses. I have graduated already so, I am no longer on student aid. Can anyone suggest any cheap fast track affordable online courses that could be financed out of pockets from a regular day job.

I'll greatly appreciate some specific courses and suggestions here.

Thanks so much

Hey,

Serre's A Course in Arithmetic is a good place to start. Follow up with Stochastic Differential Equations by Oksendal and Bernt, then move on to Galois Cohomology by (aforementioned) Serre and Probability in Banach Spaces by Ledoux and Talagrand. This should give you good enough background to study linear algebra.

Glad I could help

Hey,

Serre's A Course in Arithmetic is a good place to start. Follow up with Stochastic Differential Equations by Oksendal and Bernt, then move on to Galois Cohomology by (aforementioned) Serre and Probability in Banach Spaces by Ledoux and Talagrand. This should give you good enough background to study linear algebra.

Glad I could help

I need for credit courses. Any suggestions?

Back