• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

PhD after MFE and 2yr in QR. Please advise!

Hi folks, really want to discuss my situation with someone from an outside perspective. Sorry for the long post in advance, and thanks!

My profile :
Top undergrad : dual degree in electronics(BE) and Math (MSc). Decent grades (8/10) Internships in QR and market risk desk in BB
1 yr sell side exp (market risk desk in BB)
Came to US for an MFE (think Cornell, Columbia). 3.9/4
8 months as a data scientist at a hedge fund (think Acadian, Wellington)
2 years as a Research Analyst in an Asset management firm (think Fidelity, State Street, Invesco)

Long story short, my STEM OPT visa expires March 2024. the H1B lottery screwed me. Internal mobility to a different country through my firm is not an option that is open to me now.

One option for me is to focus on getting a new job in the UK, ideally as a QR. (still figuring out the possibilities of this happening, visa issues etc, but I am hopeful for more opportunities to open up after new years).

Meanwhile, I have been considering applying for PhD programs. Would I consider getting a PhD if it wasn't for this predicament I am in? Doubt it. Am I only looking at PhD like an option for me to continue staying in the US? No. While I am content with the work I get to do at my firm and while it is technically QR, I feel that the research is not as cutting edge or exciting in the global equity low frequency factor space. If it weren't for the visa issues I think I would start interviewing at firms like millennium or Point72. I still think it would be hard for me to move into a research position at firms like SIG/Tower/TGS/Virtu/TwoSigma which I aim for in the long run. Despite having two masters degrees I have always focused on getting good internships, but never got the opportunity to produce research publications. And I have not gotten the opportunity to do that at my current position as a research analyst so far in the firm either. (Not that I need to produce publications, but it would certainly help if I did to move forward in my career to better roles I think.)

Pros of going into a PhD:
1. It would give me the time to focus on learning and producing research and also gives me the opportunity to hone my skills as a researcher and bolster my profile as a researcher in the industry.​
2. I have a few ideas and side projects I always wanted to work on, I can look for ways to integrate them into my curriculum/research or simply work on them on the side during my time in PhD.​
3. this is a tangent, but another idea is to focus my research on topics related to ML techniques. I love working with data and ML algorithms, dont mind if it isn't exactly finance or quant space that I end up in in the future. Along with the firms I mentioned above, I think this would help me pivot into research positions at FAANG too, which is also an exciting space for me.​
4. I get to stay in US with my friends and family. While I am willing and open to move to UK and explore my career and life there (not that it is a given), it hurts me to leave my life I built here in the US behind. Pursuing a PhD in a subject I am passionate about and from a good school is the only way I could let myself stay here.​
Programs I have been looking into : Princeton ORFE, Berkeley Statistics, Stanford MS&E, Cornell OR, UofChicago Booth school Econometric and Statistics PhD

I don't want to pursue PhD from any school just because of my visa situation, going through the above programs I think will add substantial value to me in the long term.

I have put my views as they are, my thoughts around PhD are still in the nascent stages, excuse my naivety, I want to hear your thoughts on my conceptions of getting a PhD and the choice of programs. I have reached out to people who have graduated from these programs and working as QRs in the Industry to get more insight. Any advise is highly appreciated, thanks!

I might be wrong, but the PhD programs you are aiming for typical favor students who are research-focused rather than career focused, i.e., a student who spent last few years working with professors on research and publishing papers vs someone who worked in a professional role. Most admitted students have journal publications, because these programs are the most competitive and are looking for dedicated focus + track record in academic research.

A more realistic school list would be PhD in Operations Research at UMich, UT Austin, UIUC, Purdue, OSU, UPitt, UMiami, etc.

Last edited:
Back