• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Please Judge my Profile, for MFE/MFin

Hi all, really appreciate if you could give some advices on how I can improve my profile for 2024 applications.

My Background:

Education: NYU Senior, Econ + Politics double major. have finished all graduation requirements. about to declare another major in math.

Current GPA: 3.86/4.0; Major GPA: 4.0/4.0

GRE: 330. Q 167, a bit low, will take another shot.

Relevant Coursework :
1. Math/Statistics: ALL A, Cal 1-3, Probability and Statistics (This semester), Linear Algebra (A), Time Series Forecasting (this semester), Econometrics (A, ranked no.1 in this class) , Stats for Bus/finance (A), Quant Research methods for Politics (Mainly use R and STATA).

Taking ACFE at Baruch Pre MFE program now. will do Prob & NLA next semester.

Will take Real Analysis, ODE, optimization/math modeling/numerical analysis next semester.

2. Economics: ALL A,Micro, Macro, Intermediate Micro and Macro, Development Economics, Public Economics, Trade economics, Political Economy; a PhD advanced macro policy course taught by a nobel Laureate

Will take another 2 PhD course focusing on financial econometrics and macro next semester.

3. CS/Programming: Didn't take any courses. But I'm proficient in R, Python, Matlab, and STATA with both professional and research experiences.

4.Corporate Finance: Operation Management (A), Financial Accounting (A), Foundations of Finance (B+)

5. Unrelated: a bunch of politics courses including game theory.

Experience: Summer Analyst at a Budge Bracket IB in HK (w return offer). Summer Analyst at MS IBD (No return). Fortune 500 Intern.

Research: All Python, Econ Honor thesis; RA at Stern on time series; 1 DS RA (did some machine learning stuff)

Extracurriculars: Student Athlete (Inactive starting this semester). Tutor in econ and Poli sci.

Languages (with coursework): Python, R, STATA, Matlab.

Target School: (applying to other Applied econ/politics Masters as well)

MIT Mfin
Yale AM
Columbia MAFN
Uchicago MSFM
Cornell MFE

Questions:
1. Given few courses taken in Math/Cs, does my profile look competitive comparing to other candidates? I'm really trying my best to make up for it, but dk whether it's gonna help or not.

2. Do I need to take some courses in CS/DS next semester? NYU CS only teaches JAVA in beginning/interm courses (Python in really high level courses).

3. I'm really tired of IBD and extremely interested in Macro and financial markets. Want land a role either in SnT, AM, HF (not matter as long as market facing). Any other programs that I would have a chance to get in and help to land in one of those roles? Do I have a chance for Princeton MFIN?

Really appreciate for your advices.

You target MIT MFin, Yale AM so may as well apply to Columbia MSFE (Financial Economics). I see that your interest is a bit broader than most MFE applicants.

Taking a C++ course and doing well will prep you for the MFE courseworks. After the C++, take the Python course here. It's the perfect course for you.
The Baruch pre-MFE courses are really intense and excellent preparation. You get a really good sense of how intense the workload is. Multiply it several times and then add in time spent on internship search, interview preps. All in all, a good way to have a feel of how you perform in a real MFE program.

Back