• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Prep / Pre-sessional course for Oxford MScMCF for a CS person

Hello -

I'm a pure Computer Scientist based in UK working for one of the top IBs. Would like to try and get in to the Oxford MScMCF but frankly my maths are not up to par of what they are expecting. Is there a course to catch up to that level? or any other way to do it (apart from the obvious - try and learn on my own for a year or so before applying)?

Regards

Would like to try and get in to the Oxford MScMCF but frankly my maths are not up to par of what they are expecting.

Get a fair number of such posts on this forum. First question is that if your math isn't that great, why do you want to do the MScMCF in the first place? Clearly your interests and aptitudes lie elsewhere. Is it merely mercenary motives?

Is there a course to catch up to that level?

No single course. And doing math involves a way of thinking and being different to being a programmer. Not saying it can't be done but merely that it will be an uphill effort, particularly as your interests and aptitudes probably lie elsewhere.

Hello -

I'm a pure Computer Scientist based in UK working for one of the top IBs. Would like to try and get in to the Oxford MScMCF but frankly my maths are not up to par of what they are expecting. Is there a course to catch up to that level? or any other way to do it (apart from the obvious - try and learn on my own for a year or so before applying)?

Regards
"catching up on maths" is difficult in general. A degree in maths is the best way to catch up on maths.

Get a fair number of such posts on this forum. First question is that if your math isn't that great, why do you want to do the MScMCF in the first place? Clearly your interests and aptitudes lie elsewhere. Is it merely mercenary motives?

No single course. And doing math involves a way of thinking and being different to being a programmer. Not saying it can't be done but merely that it will be an uphill effort, particularly as your interests and aptitudes probably lie elsewhere.

I will be transitioning to a role in few months that is more Quant and less IT and it will be fairly up to me how much I take over certain responsibilities or show interest in them. So taking that course would be more for me. I am interested in it and would like to get both the know-how and formalise it at the same time. You mentioned there have been plenty questions like this -- what were their ideas on how to deal with this type of challenge

"catching up on maths" is difficult in general. A degree in maths is the best way to catch up on maths.

Reason I said "catch up" is because I'm OK at it but not the higher education maths - so yes, a maths degree would be very useful. Perhaps I should look at part-time programmes for that first ;-) really, any advice is highly appreciated!

Do you know PDE, real analysis, numerical methods and stuff like that?

You mentioned there have been plenty questions like this -- what were their ideas on how to deal with this type of challenge

The posters seem to fade away once they realize what's really involved. PDEs, real analysis, measure theory, numerical methods, stochastic theory all take time to pick up. In addition, without the right books and right teachers one can end up wasting a lot of time.

The posters seem to fade away once they realize what's really involved. PDEs, real analysis, measure theory, numerical methods, stochastic theory all take time to pick up. In addition, without the right books and right teachers one can end up wasting a lot of time.
Good Will Hunting?

Good Will Hunting?

Never saw the film. Personally what I've seen is teachers and lecturers of indifferent quality, essentially time-servers, and just going through the motions. Even if they know anything, they're careful to not pass it on.

Never saw the film. Personally what I've seen is teachers and lecturers of indifferent quality, essentially time-servers, and just going through the motions. Even if they know anything, they're careful to not pass it on.
Like in English Premier Division, people are looking for the Quick Fix.

Back