• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Princeton MFin

Obviously this is a top program, but what's it like in comparison with places like UCB, CMU, Columbia MFE? How does placement differ? What about prestige/competitiveness of admission? If you were lucky enough to be admitted at all of the above, which would you choose and why?

Thanks!

Nobody has been to more than 1 program, so no one can truly tell you the differences. That said, from what I gather on QuantNet --

I believe they all place well -- it's really more about your own interviewing capabilities once you're in any of the top programs as you'll have plenty of opportunities to interview. I think Princeton has the most competitive admissions and is different in that it's the least quantitative of the top programs; this can be good as you can still do a fairly quantitative curriculum, or you can keep your options open by being more generalist in finance. Princeton also has the smallest student class so it's more tight-knit and it arguably has a closer alumni community as a result (same could be said of Baruch's program). CMU and Columbia are fairly similar, incredibly high proportion of student class is international Chinese, and it's mostly a numbers-based admissions, focused more on GPA and GRE. UCB seems to have a bit of diversity and favors some work experience? UCB's top strength seems to be Linda who is incredibly dedicated to placing students into internships and jobs.

If up to me, I'd rank it this like: Princeton (prestige/alumni network/beautiful campus), UCB (quant/Linda/Bay-area), Columbia (NYC/quant), CMU (quant).

(Location-based factors are purely my own preference.)

Back