• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile evaluation for MFIN UK programmes

Hi guys, I will appreciate any comment on my profile:

Degree: BS with honours "Applied Mathematics and CS" from a local branch of a reputable (in Russia) university (2011)
CGPA: 3.74/4 (ranked 1st of 14)
Courses: Mathematical analysis (A), Calculus II (A+), Calculus III (A+), Probability Theory (A+), Mathematical Statistics (A+), Linear Algebra (A-), Discrete Mathematics (A-), Differential Equations (B+), Numerical Methods (A+), Operations Research (A), Modern applied algebra (A+), Partial differential equations (A+)
+ CS courses (slightly lower marks)
+ Financial Engineering (A) + Econophysics (A)
IELTS: 7.5
GRE: Q169 (didn't take other parts :( )
Recommendations: 2 good ones - from a dean (Professor) and from my supervisor (Associate professor)
Internships:
1 month - Business processes modelling
1 month - C++ programming
(both in very local firms)

I want to apply for 2 groups of uni's :
1) Warwick (Fin Math), Cass School (Fin Math), Imperial College (Math & Finance), LSE (Fin Math) + ETH/UZH Zurich (Quant Fin)
2) ICMA Centre (Fin Eng), Birkbeck (Fin Eng), King's College (Fin Math)

Do I stand any chances for the 1 group? For the 2nd? Thanks!

Hi Dello, I'll give my opinion for the ETH/UZH programme only, as it is where I'm heading to this September.

This programme is very strong in the theoretical math side, and seeing that you're coming from mathematics, you're very much up to it. They may interview you though, with questions such as the definitions of stochastic processes, martingales and brownian motions. From what I've seen in other forums (sorry, they didn't interview me so I can't give you a direct experience), when answering, try to relate your answers to measure theory as much as possible. This is to show that you've already had exposure to measure theory, which is what they want. You'll stand much better chance of being admitted this way. Good luck.

Hi Ryan Kurniawan, thank you very much for your feedback!
BTW, how did they check their prerequisities in Corporate Finance and Investments? Did you take relevant courses or they just didn't care?

By checking their prerequisites, do you mean what they're asking in the interview? From what I've heard, they'll ask basic stuffs like the definition of NPV and CAPM. If you wanna know more from past experiences, just google it :) (especially on wilmott and globalderivatives). In my case, I concentrated in actuarial mathematics and have done a couple of papers in insurance and finance during my bachelor. I'm pretty sure those are the ones that helped me a lot in getting admitted.

Back