• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation MFE/MSFM Fall 2024

Hi everyone, I am so excited to be a part of this community. Please help me evaluate my candidate profile for MFE/MSFM programs:

BA Finance, from private college in the USA.
CGPA: 3.4. Graduated May 2019.

Relevant Courses:
  • Calculus
  • Applied Statistics
  • Linear Algebra
  • Options and Futures
Work Experience:
  • Internship at tech startup as Financial Modeling intern.
  • Co-founder and Software Developer at software development agency. 3+ years of experience developing in Python and C++.
Projects:
  • Equity Research Helper Application: allows users to perform sentiment analysis on company news using NLP model, and portfolio optimization using Markowitz's efficient frontier theory with Monte Carlo simulations.
  • Financial Modeling Application: web application combines client-side Javascript with Python (using PyScript) to allow users to perform various financial machine learning tasks like stock price forecasting using a logistic regression model.
  • LSTM Stock Price Forecasting: application that uses Long Short Term Memory neural network to forecast stock prices.
  • Black Scholes Option Pricing application: Executable C++ application for option pricing using the the Black Scholes formula.
Program preparation:
  • MIT Open Courseware Multivariable Calculus
  • MIT Open Courseware Probability and Random Variables
  • Khan Academy Multivariable Calculus
1.) Based on my profile, do I have any chance of getting into an MFE/MSFM program?
2.) What gaps are there in my profile and how could I fill those gaps to make my profile more compelling?
3.) I have a large collection of quantitative finance books, is reading those kinds of books (and applying the knowledge through projects) an effective way to prepare or make myself a better candidate?

I truly appreciate any help/advice you can share.

You meant the minimum requirements, if you score really well on the GRE and can convince them you have competence in these areas then I don't see why you couldn't land a decent program. The software development will help.
More than the finance books though, I'd try to go deeper into math and stats first, find the next course to follow onto the MIT one.

You meant the minimum requirements, if you score really well on the GRE and can convince them you have competence in these areas then I don't see why you couldn't land a decent program. The software development will help.
More than the finance books though, I'd try to go deeper into math and stats first, find the next course to follow onto the MIT one.
Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it.

Back