• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant Dev To Quant Trading/Research

Hello, it's my first post here and I'd very much appreciate your advice.

Some background: did undergrad in CS with a good amount of additional math courses at a target uni in Europe. After undergrad worked as a software engineer at a BB then decided to do an ML/stats master's at the same uni (it's a 2 years program). Secured a quant dev internship at Optiver/DRW/SIG/IMC for this summer. Some previous non-finance experience as well: such as teaching assistant and a FAANG internship.

I have some good things going in research with prospects of publishing together with my advisor in a top journal before the next recruitment season (Bayesian Networks in cancer treatment).

Last recruitment season I only did one QT intern interview (JS), rest of the interviews were for QD intern positions.

Ideally, I'd like to secure a FT QT/QR position out of the grad school. What's my play here?

Any advice on securing the interviews and prepping will be highly appreciated.

Some questions:
How hard will it be for me to get interviews without a prior QT/QR internship?
Should I apply to both QT and QR at the same shop or should I focus only on one position per shop?
Should I apply also for the internship positions for more visibility?
Assuming I get a FT offer after my QD internship would it be possible to ask for interviews at the same shop but for QT/QR?
I'm quite familiar with the QT interviewing format but could you tell me where is the focus in QR interviews?
Thanks a lot!

Back