• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant dev to trading / research

I work as a quant dev at a quant firm. I am looking to move into quant / algo trading / research. I talked to several headhunters but unfortunately due to my work experience, they tend to always try to refer me to quant dev jobs.

Has anyone made such move? Any tips?

FWIW I went to a target school. I have MS in CS and BS in Finance.

start to implement your own trading strategy and backtest them online to show that you are capable of doing research in trading.

I talked to several headhunters but unfortunately due to my work experience, they tend to always try to refer me to quant dev jobs.
Yes, this is the inertness of job markets, which I also experienced (I also got started as a QuantDev).
Don't hope too much for headhunter, first of all many of them are unable to distinguish between different types of quants (just like they hold Java and JavaScript for the same).
Secondly, they work for their client, not for you.

Thus try to search for opportunities directly. And of course as @Simon.ZY told you: start to implement your own trading strategy

I found an interesting website gincker.com. it seems including some technical indicators, and predefined trading strategies. You can perform technical analysis on the website without the need to write any code.

Maybe you can try it out.

Sounds like you've had bad headhunters especially if you're very clear with them on what it is that you want to do. Maybe find headhunters who quants (and people whose positions interest you) you know are connected with on LinkedIn, and solicit them for advise. Or I figure you can just drop a blind application to a firm like many other enty-level candidates, and then during the interviews make your needs heard.

Back