• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant Finance Software

Hi,

I am a senior manager in a telecommunications company working in the area of real-time embedded software which is a scalable and yet high performing software development product. Recently, I have been following the Quant Software industry and would like to move there.

I am very proficient in C++ and have 20 years of development experience in telecom area.

I was also a good student in Math and hence understand the trigonometric, differential and integral calculus, if the job requires me to work on.

Will that suffice to take an interview in Quant Finance Software development ?

well, basic maths won't get a quant wannabe anywhere.

first, get certified. through mfe courses or the like to grab the interest of recruiters.

then, practice maths for financial applications. show them to your recruiter. this requires stochastic calculus like brownian motion, black-scholes models, arch and garch, binomial options pricing, just to name a few.

since you want to do quant finance software development, which asset classes are you looking forward to work with?

well, basic maths won't get a quant wannabe anywhere.

first, get certified. through mfe courses or the like to grab the interest of recruiters.

then, practice maths for financial applications. show them to your recruiter. this requires stochastic calculus like brownian motion, black-scholes models, arch and garch, binomial options pricing, just to name a few.

since you want to do quant finance software development, which asset classes are you looking forward to work with?

Thanks, but none of the job interviews do ask for any of the financial math models and in fact, they very clearly state none of the finance related knowledge or experience is required. I have one of my friend who also works in Bloomberg as a Quant software engineer ( Now a manager ) and he does none of these.

Also, since software is just translating the equations into programming languages, I believe that the advertizements are correct and one does not need to know detailed math anyways.

One other question I have is that will any of these jobs be allowed to work from another city from home ? ( Any chances of that ? )

wow, then i don't know why they need to add a 'quant' in front of the title. anyways, the title could cover a wide field, which is the reason i'm keen to know which asset classes are of your interest.

so far, i haven't heard of work-from-home jobs unless you're a freelancer.

You are unlikely to fully work remotely for any major financial institutions due to their strict IP policies. Finance is still a pretty conservative domain when it comes to these things.

Thanks Andy and Pewpewpew for your time on this. Anyways, I think the job advertisements I am referring to are those of a trader software and around that. Mostly, Andy is right in saying the Finance domain is pretty conservative in terms of IP policies, mostly because of the security/leakage issues. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to relocate to either NewYork or Los Angeles. So, I will try some out and see how it goes next year and if it really requires me to have the thorough finance related subject background, then I am not the right candidate.

Regards,
Satish

Back