• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant internship - everything to learn

Will I make it ?

• yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • ofc

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I recently had an opportunity thrown at me of which kind i couldn't pass, to get a quant internship in a big bank starting march 2018. However, I am by no mean qualified fo this matter, here's where I stand: - I like maths, always have, and am quite gifted for that purpose. However my knowledge of statistics is quite limited. My algebra on the other end is pretty good.

• I know some python, and will learn some R and matlab in the 6 month of school remaining, enaught to implement some Dijkstra or sorting algorithm for instance/model asynchronous drives, but I lack experience in coding.

• I have close to no knowledge of the financial world.

• I can be an insanely hard worker.

• I'm french (but who cares, really).
Given these information, I have to make all I can to be ready and not be considered a dead weight when my internship starts on march.

How would you suggest I plan my knowledge gathering for the next few months ? Is there any well known reference publication I should know about to get started ? I was planning on learning VBA, and get a glimpse at the 'Hull' workbook.
The reading list suggested on this forum is pretty huge, is there any recommendations to start with?
Also, my internship may well be in "La société générale", any particular IT (Vba/C++/matlab...? ) should focus on ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I don't have much information so far, I will be getting more next week (I didn't get this internship throught a conventional interview). I figured everyone uses the same tools in a given bank and someone from 'La société générale' may be around here.

I should know more soon, but I thought I could already start to gather a reading list and start working.

Back