• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant jobs in London after MFE programs in US

Right now I have offers from top MFE programs in US and UK (columbia, nyu, oxford, imperial), I am wondering how likely I could land a quant job in London after US programs, or should I go straight to choose the program in UK? I prefer US programs because their strong career services and higher placement rate, but what I am concerned is that there is no OPT for me after studying in the U.S, as I have a PhD degree already. If choosing programs here, I can at best land an internship and probably the return offer at some banks, but can I choose to work in their oversea offices? As to programs in UK, how do I choose between oxford and imperial, can I compete for quant jobs there with a PhD degree in U.S.
Many thanks.

As to programs in UK, how do I choose between oxford and imperial, can I compete for quant jobs there with a PhD degree in U.S.

Shouldn't be a problem, particularly with a Ph.D. from a known school (MIT, Princeton, Stanford, CalTech, etc.). Do you hold a British/EU passport? In my opinion the best US programs are stronger than the best British programs. Ceteris paribus (i.e., ignoring the differences in fees, visa situation, and job markets), I would plump for the U.S. programs.

MFE would be redundant if he/she already has a PhD from those schools. British schools are notorious for poor career services, just a service industry with no skin in the game. US is a tightly protected labour market with local graduates having an edge whereas in London you will have to compete with the Ecole Polytechniques, ETHZ as well...gets more darwinian.

Shouldn't be a problem, particularly with a Ph.D. from a known school (MIT, Princeton, Stanford, CalTech, etc.). Do you hold a British/EU passport? In my opinion the best US programs are stronger than the best British programs. Ceteris paribus (i.e., ignoring the differences in fees, visa situation, and job markets), I would plump for the U.S. programs.

I don't have even EU passport, that what I am concerned as UK is conservative. I am not sure if a degree from either oxford or imperial, plus a Phd from a top 50 US school, would give me a better chance to land a job there.

I don't have even EU passport, that what I am concerned as UK is conservative. I am not sure if a degree from either oxford or imperial, plus a Phd from a top 50 US school, would give me a better chance to land a job there.
Imperial RMFE has 100% placement rate within 3 months according to their website. That means that their career service rocks.

Imperial RMFE has 100% placement rate within 3 months according to their website. That means that their career service rocks.
Thanks. But I refer to the math in finance under their math department, I think it is more quant and practical.

Back