• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Required Quant's help

To everybody,
I was looking for a tool for option trading & I came across Peter Hoadley's option trading tool. I went through this tool & found that he has used various functions in Excel to calculate all the things. These functions can be used for any other excel sheet & any data but not in any other computer language. Can anybody give me the details of these functions to know what calculations are going on in his excel sheets?
I will be very glad if somebody help me out.
Rgds
Mahesh

What type of calculations are you talking about? What type of calculations does that "trading tool" provide?

And I don't fully understand your comment about the functions working only in Excel but not in another language - isn't that somewhat self-evident?

Sounds like he wants the VBA source code or at the very least pseudo-code walk through.

Could you post the Excel file here? Maybe we can reverse engineer the spreadsheet.

Mahesh,

Chances are that the source code for your particular program is locked. But if you use google, you'll come across a plethora of model in excel - many of which will let you fiddle around with the source. Check the Global Derivatives site, the have several model which can downloaded.

What type of functions/calculations are you specifically looking at? I'm assuming they are the various option sensitivities.

excel file

The excel file is attached as asked by you & thanks a lot for taking the interest.
I don't want VBA code. I already have it. I just want to know the formulas behind the calculations.

Could you post the Excel file here? Maybe we can reverse engineer the spreadsheet.

Attachments

• Portfolio Optimizer Pro.xls
    369 KB · Views: 36
requred Quant's help + make some quick bucks

Dear Everybody,
If somebody takes the pain to go to the site The hoadley.net web sites, have a look at the whole tool & make available the formulas of the functions used in those excel sheets(method of calculation used in excel sheets) then I am ready to make some payment to that guy.
Rgds
Mahesh

nobody is capable of helping even against payment

Dear Everybody,
I am astonished that even though the community is so large, nobody has come up yet to solve my problem. I am ready to pay for the services if somebody help me out.
I may be bit too eager for this.
Rgds
Mahesh

Easy there chief, just keep in mind most of the members of Quantnet have jobs or are full-time students. They have their plate full with matters of their own. Have you tried to search Google or perhaps look through any books?

Dear Everybody,
I am astonished that even though the community is so large, nobody has come up yet to solve my problem. I am ready to pay for the services if somebody help me out.
I may be bit too eager for this.
Rgds
Mahesh
Dude, you don't want help. You want somebody to do work for you and that's a totally different story. Why don't you pay the original authors? If you are willing to pay, I'm sure they will accomodate your needs.

I went to the site and you have to pay to get the Add-Ins so, I'm guessing it is some sort of DLL in binary code (maybe I'm wrong). It means we won't be able find the source.

Even better, why don't you post your needs in one of those sites where people write code for money (rentacoder.com comes to mind).

BTW, did you buy the original excel add-ins? If not, you are asking us to break to law as well.

The excel file is attached as asked by you & thanks a lot for taking the interest.
I don't want VBA code. I already have it. I just want to know the formulas behind the calculations.

If you have the code, you should be able to easily reconstruct the discrete version of the formulas.

The worksheet isn't exactly providing any fancy analytics. It seems to be nothing more than mean-variance optimization, a straightforward application of CAPM, and a bit of VaR thrown in for kicks and giggles.

If you want to learn the 'formulas' behind the calculations, look into the following topics:

• VaR - value at risk
  • Mean Variance Optimization
  • Efficient Frontier
  • CAPM - capital asset pricing model
  • if you're feeling particularly resourceful, read some Markowitz.
You can start by reading the tutorials at Investopedia.com. Also, check out Essential of Investments by Bodie, Kane, and Marcus.

Not a lawbreaker

Even better, why don't you post your needs in one of those sites where people write code for money (rentacoder.com comes to mind).

BTW, did you buy the original excel add-ins? If not, you are asking us to break to law as well.

Dear everybody,
I have already purchased excel add-in & I am using it. I want to understand the working behind the excel sheets.
I had contacted the vendor but he says he sells the tools but not how to use them.
To understand the working of these sheets I went through Hull but I could work out only one or two formulas.
I am at a very small place called Indore thus could not get quants to explain me.
And thus the request to everybody.
Rgds
Mahesh

With respect to the stuff on the spreadsheet, the only formula/calculation you'll find in Hull will be ones dealing with VaR. Take a look at my previous post.

complete book

With respect to the stuff on the spreadsheet, the only formula/calculation you'll find in Hull will be ones dealing with VaR. Take a look at my previous post.

Dear Sanket,
Here in Indore INDIA books are not easily available. Only source is internet. I want you to suggest a book which can act as a complete reference book. And sites similar to Investopedia.com .
Recently I saw "Market Risk Analysis" by Carol Alexander. It is in 3 volumes. I want your opinion on it.
Rgds
Mahesh

need opinion

Is there anybody who can give me the opinion on the books I mentioned i.e. "Market Risk Analysis" by Carol Alexander.

Mahesh,

I am not familiar with that book, so I can objectively comment on its merits. However, looking through the table of contents, it seems the books does cover topics which you may find useful. But the question is whether those topics are covered in true rigor or at the watered-down MBA level.

Have you tried searching the internet at all? There are bound to numerous articles, lecture notes, powerpoints and such going over the topics I mentioned in one of my previous posts. Have you read the articles at Investopedia?

Back