• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Score evaluation and schools to be aimed

Hi Everyone,

I have been thinking of applying to various MFE programs (UCB, NYU, CMU, Cornell, Princeton, Baruch and Columbia).

My profile is as below:

GRE score - 330 (Quant - 170, Verbal - 160)
TOEFL - 112
CGPA - 7.92/10. (Above average scores in math and programming subjects)

I have graduated in Mechanical Engineering from NIT Kurukshetra in India

In terms of work experience, I have 2.5 years of experience working in a data scientist role using Quantitative techniques like regression modeling and time series models (ARIMAX) for different business problems. I also worked on Credit Risk Model Validation (PD, LGD, EAD) for 6 months during this stint. Extensively used R and SAS in these years.

For the last 1.5 years, I have been working as a Quantitative Risk Researcher supporting the investment risk team of a large global AMC. I have worked on implementation of unconditional and conditional coverage VaR back-tests in MATLAB. Also worked on factor creation for risk modeling of Credit Risk Transfer deals.

Thus, I have a total of 4 years of work ex spanning from Data analytics to Finance.

Can you tell me based on my academic and professional profile, which schools should I aim for?

Are my choices too ambitious?

Any sort of advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back