• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Self-awareness: Is it for you?

People are easily seduced by the results, but they forget the process. I strongly believe highly successful are successful not just because of their brilliance but by their ability to project that 1% uniqueness about them.

Share your stories on people who were starry-eyed on a (quantitative finance) career path and you brought them some light or they just proceeded and 'failed'. There must be a lot and it's not limited to the quant. finance realm.

Also, what is your take on self-awareness? Do you think it is important? Do you think it should high priority in your 20s? Are *you* self-aware?

6e68c33837ee7a6dc8598ffb0319474f.jpg

I read once that the true mark of a pro — at anything — is that he understands, loves, and is good at even the drudgery of his profession.

- Paul Halmos

Do you think it should high priority in your 20s?
Nah. Youth is wasted on the young.

Are *you* self-aware?
No. The human brain has no control over itself.

Last edited:
6e68c33837ee7a6dc8598ffb0319474f.jpg

I read once that the true mark of a pro — at anything — is that he understands, loves, and is good at even the drudgery of his profession.

- Paul Halmos

Do you think it should high priority in your 20s?
Nah. Youth is wasted on the young.

Are *you* self-aware?
No. The human brain has no control over itself.
Very interesting metaphorical quote. I notice that people who excel in their field gain deep 'big-picture' insights in their field which they autmomatically relate to everything else through analogical reasoning (but not limited to that).

Random thought: I feel that every academic field is fundamentally the same... e.g., there's 'market mechanism' in every field. It's just a conjecture. My knowledge is only limited to a handful of fields.
ov84WFo.jpg

I don't want to enter territory of philosophical debates but what I meant was that if you are mostly self-aware, and not completely self-aware of literally everything. By 'mostly', I mean having a big-picture understand of who you are such as core strengths, thinking styles/habits, eccentricities, etc.

Last edited:
Wear sunscreen.
If I could offer you only one tip for the future,
sunscreen would be it.
The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists
whereas the rest of my advice has no basis
more reliable than my own meandering experience
I will dispense this advice now.

Last edited:
Wear sunscreen.
If I could offer you only one tip for the future,
sunscreen would be it.
The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists
whereas the rest of my advice has no basis
more reliable than my own meandering experience
I will dispense this advice now.
Interesting speech (I Googled it). I've employed a similar mindset to living life: do things so that you won't regret not doing it later.

Back