• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Self-financing trading strategy (continuous + transaction cost)

I'm having a hard time trying to understand a formula about self financing strategy trading.
Let's suppose you have two assets, \(\phi=(\phi_0,\phi_1) \)is the vector that represents the quantity you have for each one of them and \(S=(1,S_1)\) is the price (the first asset isn't risky so we suppose it has a constant price).

In the discrete model, without transaction cost :
The self financing hypotheses would mean having \(\phi_0(t)+\phi_1(t)S_1(t)=\phi_0(t+1)+\phi_1(t+1)S_1(t)\) which means that when you are in the moment $t$, you see the prices and you take decisions to build a portfolio for the moment \(t+1\) so you don't lose money and you don't need money from the outside.

I figured that for discrete time with transaction cost \(\lambda\), this would become (correct me if I'm wrong) :
\(\phi_0(t)+\phi_1(t)(1-\lambda)S_1(t)=\phi_0(t+1)+\phi_1(t+1)S_1(t)\)

Now I'm reading this article with a continuous model and transaction cost and it says that a trading strategy would be self financing if we have :
\(d\phi^{0}_t=(1-\lambda)S^{1}_d\phi^{1,\downarrow}_t-S^{1}_td\phi^{1,\uparrow}_t$\)
where\( $\phi^{1}_t=\phi^{1,\uparrow}_t-\phi^{1,\downarrow}_t\) using the Jordan-Hahn decomposition into two no-decreasing function. Now I don't know much about this decomposition, tried to look it up but didn't understand how is it relevant here.
I can get intuitively the meaning in the discrete model but I can't establish something between the continuous model and the discrete one.

Can someone give me some help ?

P.S : Here's the title of the article I'm currently studying
"Duality Theory for Portfolio Optimisation under Transaction Costs".

Back