• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Sharpe Ratio - Issues calculating

Jef

I need to calculate Sharpe Ratio for my trading system. I am getting a number I feel is too high. Can someone tell me what you get based on the following 2 months returns. Thank you in advance.
November 2016 = 10.6027%
December 2016 = 10.1901%

I used a risk free return of 3%/year or 0.25%/month. Based on these numbers, are my Share Ratio calculations correct?

I need to calculate Sharpe Ratio for my trading system. I am getting a number I feel is too high. Can someone tell me what you get based on the following 2 months returns. Thank you in advance.
November 2016 = 10.6027%
December 2016 = 10.1901%

I used a risk free return of 3%/year or 0.25%/month. Based on these numbers, are my Share Ratio calculations correct?

You haven't provided enough information to calculate it. I wouldn't worry about the risk free rate. Use daily returns and just take your annualized return and divide it by the annualized standard deviation of those daily returns.

I cannot use daily or weekly returns unless I calculated the daily or weekly NAV for each position as positions are held over a multi-day period. As such, a position might yield a negative NAV yet it has not stopped out. As such, it would have a negative impact on the portfolios results, which is incorrect. Volatility of a position within its acceptable range should not have a negative impact on any statistical measurement.

That said, I must use monthly results and I have only been running the system 2 months. I know the results will be worthless with so little data, but they can be calculated. I ran them and my Sharpe Ratio was 170.37, hence why I wanted someone else to run the #s just to double check my math. Thanks in advance.

You are supposed to use the daily mark-to-market of whatever position you are running, regardless of whether or not it is stopped out. This isn't a hold to maturity thing for each individual investment. This exercise won't make sense otherwise. Also you simply can't calculate a standard deviation on 2 data points.

Do this:
1. List the close price of each trading session (length N)
2. List the profit between each trading session and the previous one (length N-1)
3. Get the average of 2 above = AVG
4. Get the standard deviation of 2 above = STD
5. Take the risk free rate (ex: 4.57%) and divide it by 252 (average number of trading days in a year) to get the daily risk-free rate = RFR
6. Take (AVG - RFR) / STD * Sqrt(252) which is your annualized Sharpe

If this is incorrect, please let me know.

Back