• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should I get a PhD?

It doesn't get said enough, but I believe that the naive belief that a math student will be fine is a reason for too many grad students, Carl got it right. They seem to think research is just a different way of continuing into 'Undergrad 2.0' and never give the risks a second thought.

Only the classmates that had their PhD topic and academia in mind a few months, if not years, before they applied, enjoyed their PhD - made a hell of a difference as they seemed happier with life choices, even if they did a job afterwards. That, and a naive undergrad belief that employers look at postgraduate degrees as 'better' than undegrad drives this oversupply of PhDs. I have classmates that hated research from day one and wound up finding jobs in unrelated fields like accountancy just to escape grad school - complete waste, when an MSc would have given more stimulating options (and in less time in one case). I've also met PhDs in the last moments of a PhD panting wondering if they will quit - I remember trying to explain the wrongs of quitting to some clown finishing off a physics PhD. She spoke to me like I was a 4 year old as she'd be minted in her view - as far as I know she completed and 1-2 years later she was still under-employed doing leaflet distribution jobs at minimum wage (her jobsearch skills seem horrifically bad to be fair).

Makes a hell of a difference knowing what you are doing with a PhD, while drifting into an MSc isn't as bad as long as the course is your kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Back