• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should you have a specific career job/role in mind when applying to a program?

It is important to have a specific job (i.e. Algo Trader) in mind and in my SOP when applying for a program or is it acceptable to be undecided on that front?

Not at all.

I joined MFE hoping to go into Sales (strange, I know). That quickly changed into me wanting to moving into Risk, and now I'm working in S&T as a Strat and very happy.

Moving around is exciting. Learning new roles and areas of finance is exciting. Just make sure when you are on a job interview you sound very confident that you are 100% committed and eager to be a part of that role.

Not at all.

I joined MFE hoping to go into Sales (strange, I know). That quickly changed into me wanting to moving into Risk, and now I'm working in S&T as a Strat and very happy.

Moving around is exciting. Learning new roles and areas of finance is exciting. Just make sure when you are on a job interview you sound very confident that you are 100% committed and eager to be a part of that role.
Well-said. It's ok if you have different stories for different types of jobs describing why you want to do each, as long as the stories are well-researched and sincere.

Last edited:
Back