• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Sincere Questions from a top NYU graduate.

Hi, I am a senior undergraduate student at NYU, and I am graduating in a semester. I am a math major and computer science minor. I have 3.8+ GPA and plenty extracurricular activities, and I am confident enough to say that I am the top 5% in math and computer algorithm in entire NYU(Undergrads in NYU are actually not that bright in math/CS, I am guessing NYU top5% can translate into average math major in a top ivy school? ). I am not an IMO or Putnam genius, but I rank myself in the second tier after that group of people. As for programming skills, I know python, C++, VBA, MySql etc, but programming isn’t my strongest suite. I am much better at algorithm than actual programming.

As I am graduating in half a year, I have been navigating different job opportunities. So far, I have considered 3 choices.

Actuarial Consulting (I know I can get into the best actuarial consulting firm because I did an internship with a top firm.) I know this is a great job with very decent paycheck and reasonable hours, but I have a feeling that I am a little bit smarter than being an actuary (It maybe takes an average NYU math major to be an actuary.)

Banks (Since I don’t have any finance, econ background, and I am not from ivy. I can only get into back offices such as operation. I know this because I had some interviews with banks. )

Trading/Quant (I don’t have any experience with trading or investing and I have zero knowledge about marketing/trading strategy etc. I just started to look into this field because I heard it’s very mathematical and a lot of money). I am guessing that I would like trading/quant better than the first two choices because it’s more intellectually challenging.

So my questions for you:

1. How do you compare my three choices (top actuarial consulting, Wall Street back office, potential quant)?

2. Say if I want to go for trading/quant, how should I get there?

(I am thinking that I’ll apply for all the undergrad trading/quant jobs, and if I don’t get anything, I can get into a quantitative PhD program. I prefer PhD rather than MFE because I don’t want to pay that much tuition).

3. Say I want to get into a PhD program, what major should I do in order to land a quant job?

4. Apart from these 3 choices, did I miss anything else? Or what general suggestions/comments do you have for me?

Thank you in advance for you carefully written answers!

Since your are letting us decide what you should do with your life, I think you should try starting your own trading desk because no one will want to work with you with that attitude nor are they smart enough anyways in your opinion.

Back