• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Strategy to stay super sharp?

Recently, my thinking has gone slower and I feel sluggish. Mental arithmetic, analysing possible consequences, comprehending text and the like have all slowed down. Even simple probability questions take more thought than needed. Now I understand why they say 'use it or lose it' but I know that I can fix this within a week (which will start to improve rapidly) with excellent focus. Issue is, all this will be useless if I don't be consistent.

I'm somewhat aware of why I reached this state: not challenging myself. e.g. reading at the same pace for a year, not thinking in pressured environments. I'm still in university study mathematics (pure & stats) and computer science.

What is your strategy to stay sharp and think clearly?

practice, practice, practice.

And throw that smartphone in the bin.

You can try to do some brain exercises. Apparently a total myth that they do anything agains Alzheimers, as has been claimed, but at least they force you to challenge yourself and think. They're also very different from each other so they test you in a different way. Just an idea, I have no clue if this works.

It's a losing battle: time wins. But it's a battle that has to be fought. Brain cells die and synapses are lost. In the areas where high-level mental performance is tested (like chess) the loss of mental acuity and mental stamina can be charted.

Awesome quote. I applied the same idea to lessen my exam anxieties.

Thanks for sharing that article. Not sure if I want to take drugs though. What occupation (excl. students) do you think would make people dependent on these kinds of drugs?
_________

Side note: how do traders stay sharp? Is it just the face-paced environment and adaptation or is there something else? It's their speed of thought and heightened information processing that interests me.

Last edited:
Early rise, and Exercise....there's a virtuous cycle between body & mind

Identify peak period of mental cycle, ringfence it and devote to hardest problems...

Vertical integration...actively seek & engage with people smarter/competitive than you to challenge your mental biases

Expand horizons...watch a new movie twice/thrice a week for psychological deanchoring from current state. Reagan use to watch a new movie every night.

Play a sport that simulates pressure environments and will test your ability to respond rapidly....

Manage time distribution...doing probability for the 7th hour will be less rewarding than playing piano for an hour.

Recently, my thinking has gone slower and I feel sluggish. Mental arithmetic, analysing possible consequences, comprehending text and the like have all slowed down. Even simple probability questions take more thought than needed. Now I understand why they say 'use it or lose it' but I know that I can fix this within a week (which will start to improve rapidly) with excellent focus. Issue is, all this will be useless if I don't be consistent.

I'm somewhat aware of why I reached this state: not challenging myself. e.g. reading at the same pace for a year, not thinking in pressured environments. I'm still in university study mathematics (pure & stats) and computer science.

Reagan use to watch a new movie every night.

LOL

After all, he was a B-actor. Sadly, according to his son he had Alzheimer's by 1984..

Watching movies anno 2017 is not exactly mind-expanding. :D

Last edited:
Early rise, and Exercise....there's a virtuous cycle between body & mind
Seriously considering this given that I've lost a lot of discipline over the past year.

Identify peak period of mental cycle, ringfence it and devote to hardest problems...
I like this idea

Expand horizons...watch a new movie twice/thrice a week for psychological deanchoring from current state. Reagan use to watch a new movie every night.
What do you mean by 'psychological deanchoring from current state'?

Out of curiosity, anyone here have daily routines for self-improvement?

e.g. each day, one may ask himself the following questions:
1) What did I learn/gain today?
2) What is my plan for tomorrow?
3) Do I feel closer to my short-term goals?
etc.

Last edited:
Frame a big challenging goal....break it down into parts... and go after it like crazy...intensity clarifies everything. It is lack of purpose that leads to drift & indiscipline. Without clear purpose everything is noise.

Back