• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

switching from engineering to finance.. question

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum. I have found great info- thanks

I have been working for BAE systems for the last 1.5 years. Ive had great roles and my job entails heavy mathematics and programming. I have a BA in mechanical engineering and mathematics and a MA in Applied Math. However, I would like to make the transfer to finance.

I know most finance companies want a PhD in math or MFE/MBA. I was admitted to NYU's MFE program but decided to work first. I would rather not go back if I don't have to.. takes time and $$$$.

Do you think I can break through into finance with just my MA in math? I don't have too many connections in finance here so my primary reason of going back for my MFE is because it opens doors. I don't have much interest in working NYC finance-- I'd rather stay in Boston finance here or San Fran which is also less competitive.

What does everyone think?

I would rather not go back if I don't have to.. takes time and $$$$.
It would be great if none of us has to spend time and money to get something. Besides the obvious placement benefit of going to a program, don't forget that you will learn knowledge there as well.

I don't have much interest in working NYC finance-- I'd rather stay in Boston finance here or San Fran which is also less competitive.
Wouldn't going to a program in those locations make much more sense?
There are programs in Boston, Cali whose graduates end up working locally.

Back