• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Time inhomogeneous jump-diffusion model with exponential frequency function

Dear Quantnet,

I want to implement a real options model that models the movement of the underlying based on a Brownian diffusion process and compound Poisson jump process with a time-inhomogeneous (deterministic) frequency function lambda(t). More precisely, I want to find the solution for a standard jump-diffusion SDE with drift, while the frequency function lambda(t) follows a simple exponential function (for example lambda = 2^t), which means that the frequency of jumps increases exponentially with time (doubles every year).

The Merton model is an example that provides a closed-form solution to a similar type of model, however, with a constant frequency. Does there already exist a model/approach that might be able to provide an analytical solution a SDE as described above?
Unfortunately, I don't have a strong mathematical background, so I would be really happy for any hint that could help me in finding a solution to this problem.

Is it even possible to solve this analytically?
I suppose Monte Carlo Simulation can help to approximate a solution, however, I would prefer to find an analytical solution.

Also I would very much appreciate any ideas about relevant literature that might help to understand / solve this issue.

Thanks and best regards!

The book by Cont and Tankov is probably a good place to start.

I would prefer to find an analytical solution.

In general, 'analytical' solutions don't exist/only on paper.

Monte Carlo can
Another robust solution is PDE/FDM.

Back