• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE UCB vs CMU admission competition

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it's harder to get into Berkeley or CMU. From looking at the numbers, CMU has lower admit rate and higher average GPA...sounds like it'll be harder to get into. But someone I talked to told me that CMU's stats is skewed by the undergrads they admit who usually have near 4.0 GPA but no work experience. Berkeley seems to like people finance experience. I'm also surprised that Berkeley isn't getting more applications considering the cali weather, placment, Berkeley's brand recognition, etc.

Just wondering if anyone has any comment regarding which program would be tougher to get into.

partially because Berkeley charges $225 for application fee which keeps out a few "less serious" applicants? i guess

Students who are ready to invest $ 75000 in CMU MSCF would not leave UCB application for $125 (extra cost compared to CMU application). I think it has to do more with location of UCB and more importantly the timing of admission deadlines of UCB.

on top of that UCB only has a spring admission. That plays a role in most Undergrads fresh out of college not being able to apply if they graduate in may.

Back