• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCLA MFE UCLA MFE vs. Gatech QCF

UCLA MFE VS. Gatech QCF

• UCLA MFE

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Gatech QCF

Votes: 18 58.1%

• Total voters
Background
- UCLA Undergrad, Class of 2016
- I have been working in an LA based asset management firm for one year, so I have good exposure to several investment strategies, portfolio management, different markets, etc.
- I wish to become a quantitative trader after finishing the program
- Prefer to work in NY, Boston or Chicago (I'm living in LA now)
- Better background in finance than in maths and programming (I took some online courses and will continue to take)

UCLA MFE
Pros:
- I spent four years here, so I am very familiar with the campus and community. I also have a few professional connections in LA.
- The program is under Anderson. I am confident about its career service and teaching quality. Also excellent study environment.
- Better reputation
- Most students have working experience, so I can learn a lot from classmates.
- I don't need to relocate
Cons
- Few classes on trading
- I heard the program doesn't involve too much programming in C++ or python, but in Matlab and R.

Gatech QCF
Pros:
- Curriculum settings are outstanding. I can learn Machine learning for trading, algorithmic trading, etc.
- Linkedin shows the program has better placements in NY (GS) and Chicago (Citadel)
- Good placements in energy trading (?)
- Higher ranking on Quantnet
Cons:
- I prefer LA to Atlanta
- Most students find local jobs

Bottom Line
I am a permanent resident, so I think it won't be hard for me to find a job. However, I still need to work really hard to get into my dream companies, such as big banks/hedge funds/trading firms. I personally lean towards UCLA MFE, but Quantnet tracker shows more Rejs from Gatech than from UCLA?

Any advice will be really appreciated! Thanks!

I am no expert in QCF and MFE programs specifically. But I am willing to bet you that you will get a better, more quantitative, more rigorous education at Georgia Tech than UCLA for a program like this. Not bashing on UCLA or anything. But GT is one of the top university programs for engineering in the country, public or private. I have no doubt that reputation extends to quantitative finance too. If you look at overall rankings, engineering rankings, and the quantitative ranking you cited, I bet they all show GT quite a bit above UCLA. If ranking is the most important thing to you, then go to GT.

But it just depends where you will be happier.

Background
- UCLA Undergrad, Class of 2016
- I have been working in an LA based asset management firm for one year, so I have good exposure to several investment strategies, portfolio management, different markets, etc.
- I wish to become a quantitative trader after finishing the program
- Prefer to work in NY, Boston or Chicago (I'm living in LA now)
- Better background in finance than in maths and programming (I took some online courses and will continue to take)

UCLA MFE
Pros:
- I spent four years here, so I am very familiar with the campus and community. I also have a few professional connections in LA.
- The program is under Anderson. I am confident about its career service and teaching quality. Also excellent study environment.
- Better reputation
- Most students have working experience, so I can learn a lot from classmates.
- I don't need to relocate
Cons
- Few classes on trading
- I heard the program doesn't involve too much programming in C++ or python, but in Matlab and R.

Gatech QCF
Pros:
- Curriculum settings are outstanding. I can learn Machine learning for trading, algorithmic trading, etc.
- Linkedin shows the program has better placements in NY (GS) and Chicago (Citadel)
- Good placements in energy trading (?)
- Higher ranking on Quantnet
Cons:
- I prefer LA to Atlanta
- Most students find local jobs

Bottom Line
I am a permanent resident, so I think it won't be hard for me to find a job. However, I still need to work really hard to get into my dream companies, such as big banks/hedge funds/trading firms. I personally lean towards UCLA MFE, but Quantnet tracker shows more Rejs from Gatech than from UCLA?

Any advice will be really appreciated! Thanks!

I have decided to go to UCLA. Thanks for the advice!

Back