• View the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergrad Education Advice

Hi All,

Just wanted to get some advice from you knowledgeable people. I'm currently finishing up a computer engineering degree and have for a while been planning to eventually get an MBA later on. I'm planning to do a BCom AD with a major in finance after I finish engineering, and hopefully also do co-op to get some relevant work experience.

Just a short background, I was an average student (3.5ish) when I started University and didn't really care much for school, and actually dropped out for two years. After coming back, I transferred programs and will be graduating with a 4.0 in my final two years. I'm sure I would also get a 4.0 in my after degree and get a pretty good GMAT score.

My main question is: how negative of an impact will my dropping out for two years have on my chances of getting into a top program? Essentially I just want to follow any path that will get me into a top MBA program in 6-8 years. The reason I'm thinking of the after-degree is so that I have the finance background to do an MFin first. I figure with all of the automated resume-checking out there, doing an MFin first will help me out with landing a good job and later a spot in a top MBA program. Does this make sense or should I just not bother with the MFin at all? Will the after-degree help me or will having two bachelors just be silly?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Matt

If your goal is simply to get into an MBA program then you don't need a B Comm degree.

What do you hope to achieve by getting a degree in commerce ?

Well, two reasons:
1) I don't want to work in 'tech', and other than consulting, I don't believe that I can get relevant work experience at top 'business' firms with an engineering degree.
2) I want to give myself the background to apply to an MFin at MIT/Princeton.

1) I myself am an electrical engineer and am currently interning at a big financial institution. I am also not doing tech.

2) I am currently in the mathematical finance program at University of Toronto and I know other mfe/mfin programs do take engineers into their programs.

I am quite sure a BComm would not provide much of an advantage to you.

Hmm thank you, I appreciate the replies!

Did you enter that program immediately after graduating from Engineering? I understand the internship since you're currently studying MF, but right after graduating from CE, I'm skeptical that I'd be able to get a similar job?

A main reason that I'd like to do the BComm is that I'd like the opportunity to do Co-op and thus get non-tech internships at financial institutions. I feel that these internships would be easier to obtain than full-time positions fresh out of engineering.

Back