• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergraduate GPA vs. Work Experience vs. GRE

Could you guys rank the importance of GPA, Work Experience, and GRE scores if one wants to get into MFE program?

From my personal experience, I think GPA can definitely be offset by Letters of Recommendation.

From my personal experience, I think GPA can definitely be offset by Letters of Recommendation.

Really? If you don't mind, could you share your experience please?
I am an operations research undergraduate student with a low GPA (3.4~3.5). But I have an off-cycle internship experience in the risk quant team at an major investment bank. Do you think that my low GPA can be offset by my experience and the letters of recommendations from my internship supervisors?

Really? If you don't mind, could you share your experience please?
I am an operations research undergraduate student with a low GPA (3.4~3.5). But I have an off-cycle internship experience in the risk quant team at an major investment bank. Do you think that my low GPA can be offset by my experience and the letters of recommendations from my internship supervisors?

Sure thing. 3.4 GPA, but letters of recommendations from professors in hugely different fields (math for obvious reasons, and philosophy for character breadth), and I've gotten into some decent programs that I'm quite proud of. I think you'll be fine, and wouldn't worry about your GPA too much. Work on getting a high GRE score (in all 3 sections) and if you can get some good work experience, it'll go a long way in your application.

Sure thing. 3.4 GPA, but letters of recommendations from professors in hugely different fields (math for obvious reasons, and philosophy for character breadth), and I've gotten into some decent programs that I'm quite proud of. I think you'll be fine, and wouldn't worry about your GPA too much. Work on getting a high GRE score (in all 3 sections) and if you can get some good work experience, it'll go a long way in your application.

May I ask you what your undergraduate major and GPA were?

Two things are of critical importance when applying to an MFE program:

1. Is the applicant smart/knowledgeable enough
2. Is the applicant EMPLOYABLE

Item 1 is to make sure you "have what it takes" to survive the rigorous coursework. Item 2 is for job statistics the schools post.

Without work experience, at the very least a strong internship, you are not very employable. I would say this is at least as important as a solid GRE score.

My rating of importance:

1. GRE
1. Work Experience
2. GPA

Two things are of critical importance when applying to an MFE program:

1. Is the applicant smart/knowledgeable enough
2. Is the applicant EMPLOYABLE

Item 1 is to make sure you "have what it takes" to survive the rigorous coursework. Item 2 is for job statistics the schools post.

Without work experience, at the very least a strong internship, you are not very employable. I would say this is at least as important as a solid GRE score.

My rating of importance:

1. GRE
1. Work Experience
2. GPA

really?

That sounds encouraging... at least haha. Thank you very much. I also appreciate your reply on my previous post (how to prepare risk quant interviews).

I was just wondering if you could give me advice on my resume. I have recently updated my resume and want to hear many peoples advice.. that would be really appreciated. But if you can't that's totally fine!!

For GRE Quant, you either have the 168-170 or you don't. Your GPA is the one factor that is more or less set, and cannot be changed. Since you have no influence over it after graduating, I would place it 3rd.

1. Work experience - highly relevant experiences can make up for the 3.4 GPA
2. GRE Verbal, Writing - great scores can make up for some GPA.
3. GPA - 3.4 is borderline for the top programs and can only be acceptable if the top 2 are good.

Back