• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Use of Functional/Declarative Languages?

I'm in computer science and I'd like to ask about the use of certain languages in the finance industry. Although it seems that the field covered by this forum predominantly uses C++, I frequently hear of companies that base their operations on one of these languages: R/S APL/K Haskell F#/OCaml Smalltalk I can find very little information on the reasoning behind these choices. I'm told that is because the successful use of these is considered a competitive advantage so programmers are discouraged from talking about their work. Could anyone describe how these languages are used in the finance industry? Are there well-defined subfields where each is dominant, or is the choice between them more due to training and personal taste? Cheers, Wendell

Look for Jane Street Capital. They use OCaml.

We do a lot of R and are looking into Scala since most of our stuff is based on the JVM

Back