• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

usefulness of C++ cert if I end up not doing MFE

vxg

hi guys, I am considering to take this C++ certificate with a view to eventually get into an MFE program. My background is pure finance with negligible programming skills. I am just thinking now what will be the usefulness of this cert should I decide in the end not to pursue MFE or if I can't get into a good MFE program.

Is the program only useful as a precursor to MFE ? or is it a good certificate to have on its own ? Will I be able to apply c++ in non-finance setting after taking the program as well ?

thank you

If you have a generally strong application, I can't imagine why anyone would care about some programming credential. I would think writing in your cover letter about some interesting, challenging C++ project you did on your own would be just as good, but perhaps I'm overestimating admissions committees at MFE programs.

I audited an undergrad C++ course at a university with a well-respected CS program, and was able to discuss the work I did in it with some interviewers for jobs and they seemed to find it interesting. I give a lot of credit to the professor for making it a challenging, worthwhile course. Of course, I spent a lot of time programming and studying C++, reading extra materials and so forth. I'd say intelligent interviewers care more about whether you're able to talk knowledgeably about programming rather than whether you have some certification. And ultimately the experience in learning this stuff is what will be useful in whatever career you choose.

hi guys, I am considering to take this C++ certificate with a view to eventually get into an MFE program. My background is pure finance with negligible programming skills. I am just thinking now what will be the usefulness of this cert should I decide in the end not to pursue MFE or if I can't get into a good MFE program.

Is the program only useful as a precursor to MFE ? or is it a good certificate to have on its own ? Will I be able to apply c++ in non-finance setting after taking the program as well ?

thank you

C++ is the most challenging and most rewarding language to use.

In the top 3 qua popularity. Go for it :)

I just like to add some data to this discussion. When we first launched this in Sept 2011, the vast majority of students taking it was MFE applicants.
We are now seeing a lot more current MFE students or recent MFE grads taking the online C++ certificate because they cite the reasons below
1) Their MFE program does not really teach C++
2) They are unable to get any internship or job interview because the lack of C++ on their resume

Back