• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

When to give up on entering the industry?

Mac

I recently graduated from a target double majored in CS and Finance. I'm more interested in trading and markets over hft/tech dev. While I advanced into superday for all my six interviews, I didn't get anything and is now on the verge of giving up.

Maybe I can go work for a tech company as a PM or data analyst, but when should I stop trying?

yoda-wisdom-starwarsmay4-gif-4055243

^...Correct. While I would often get into the superday of most interviews I received, I honestly don't know why I'm the pre-2017 version of kevin durant of superdays.

Any help?

You want to be a trader, which means you need to be extremely analytical, and in this case, identify a pattern. Think hard about what your superdays had in common, and what makes them distinct from earlier round interviews. When you figure this out, understand what part of the superdays you think you're lacking in and work on it. If you can get 6 superdays, you'll be able to make it to a few final rounds again in the future.

I would not give up but learn from your mistakes yknow

OP, instead of reading too much into rejections, I think a better idea would be to talk to anybody you know that works in the field (preferably some senior person that knows the industry) and talk the interviews through and drill down to what is going on. Final rounds tend to be more about personality matches, particularly for trading roles, and someone that works with traders would be able to tell you what it is that you're saying/doing wrong from meeting you pretty much within 5 minutes. This isn't something that can be judged on a forum, but needs to be face to face. Finding such contacts could be hard, but it could really cut the mustard for you.

If you've gotten to 6 different superdays, chances are that the problem is something that's easily remedied and that you'll get more superdays. I'd doubt it's issues with your suitability for being a trader. And even if it were I'd highly doubt that you need to look at roles in other industries - it would be more about tweaking which types of trading or finance roles you target.

Again don't read into how many failures you have or how long it takes - until you're 100% sure what you're doing you won't get hired no matter how many trading roles you apply for (you really can't chance your arm to get into finance). It's not about 'keeping yourself positive' vs 'giving up' - it's about being smart about it.

Last edited:
Back