• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Where to go for school?

I currently am considering offers from UCLA MFE and UW CFRM. I've also had an interview for Columbia MFE and will hear from them soon. I personally am looking to get into asset management later on in my career. From what I see, UCLA has a clear edge over Washington's CFRM program when it comes to getting a career in this area. California has plenty of buy-side opportunities, and being from a school in the area surely has some advantages. The placement rates also look very strong.

However, I'm having a little bit more difficulty deciding between Columbia MFE(if I were to get the offer) and UCLA MFE. I know that the Columbia MFE program is a top tier school, but I would much prefer to work in California vs New York. I've heard some generally negative things about the work culture in New York. Couple that with the slightly higher living expenses and California seems much more appealing to me long-term. The Columbia MFE program however has an "Asset Allocation" concentration which I am very interested in. From what I see the UCLA MFE program has less flexibility.

My question is, is it worth going to Columbia MFE over UCLA MFE even though my goal is to work in California for a buy-side firm?

No, i don't think so. As you mentioned LA has a lot of buy-side opportunities and UCLA's curriculum is apt for that. Their career services is also very very strong in terms of helping students to get jobs in buy-side firms in LA.

Back