• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

With B.Eng. + M.Eng., can I start without MFE?

Hi guys, so I am applying for next admission year. Anyway, I am just a bit curious if my current background can actually lead me to a junior quant position right away. I don't mind < market price salary as long as its higher than my current pay - 3k+ SGD, which I really don't think is a problem. To certain extent, I agree with my senior's advice that I need to get my hands dirty first. I don't know if double master could lead me to the problem of being overqualified.

I have seen some quant positions posted online (efinancialcareers bla bla bla) but I am not sure if that is for beginners like me. Seems like headhunting... I know there is no harm trying, but I just feel like getting some sense of where I stand at this point of time. Or any other job sources you all know? Another possibility is for me to secure a junior research position in a local uni and move from there.

I have posted some info about my background before, here is a super summarized one:
Bachelor + Master in Engineering (Robotics), Nanyang Tech Singapore
Heavy quantitative research + a top rank publication, expect another 1 or 2
But almost 0 formal training about finance
Hoping to develop quant career in SG/HK, I don't aim for Wall St., too much for me:)

Any feedbacks? Thanks in advance!

You should try applying to a few jobs and see what happens. Why not impossible to go directly into a quant finance role, in the past (from my knowledge) the engineers going into finance had some engineering experience in things directly applicable to finance (i.e. signal processing).

Apply to a few jobs, talk to a headhunter and see. I hesitant to recommend you to go straight into a second masters with no job experience. If you wanted to get an MFE, I think you should go work for at least 1-2 years in engineering than try for an MFE.

Back