• View the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice needed: BB Trading Vs HF QR Out Of Undergrad

Recently got an offer to work at a quant HF out of undergrad, but I’m not sure if I should take the offer or try to go to BB trading instead (going to intern at BB S&T in the coming summer).

Some pros and cons:
HF QR
  • Pros
    • Interned there, people was nice and extremely smart, culture is also what I like
    • More technical (in terms of maths and coding) and perhaps more interesting.
    • I’m also considering a part time master degree, which might be more feasible here as the hours are more flexible
  • Cons
    • Base is lower than a typical BB trader
    • Probably greater pressure
    • I don’t see myself as an extremely smart person, so I’m not sure if I can excel in this role
  • Additional info
    • Spinoff of BB after 2008 crisis
    • Rather secretive, can’t find much info on the Internet
    • MD said they are top notch (like within top 3 in the industry), but I can’t find any info online
BB trading
  • Pros
    • Well known firms, so probably more exit opps
    • Base is higher
    • Opportunities to get to know more people and expand my network I guess
  • Cons
    • Perhaps less interesting to me. I’m not particularly into monitoring the market

Overall, I’m interested in the HF QR role, and my ultimate goal is to work in a quant HF as a QR and perhaps a quant PM. But I’m not sure if I can excel in this role, and am also a bit concerned with the pay. And I think going to BB out of undergrad, then move to buy side is a more typical path, so I’m a bit unsure. I also know that QR prefers PHDs, so it's unlikely to get similar role elsewhere. So I was thinking if a slightly lower pay is reasonable?

Appreciate any suggestions/comments, thanks!

It’s not as easy as you may think to move from BB to HF QR later on. Sounds like you’re talking about PDT, very surprised a ‘top 3 in industry’ HF is offering less pay to you than any BB. Did they discuss bonus structure with you?

It’s not as easy as you may think to move from BB to HF QR later on. Sounds like you’re talking about PDT, very surprised a ‘top 3 in industry’ HF is offering less pay to you than any BB. Did they discuss bonus structure with you?

Hi, no, I’m not talking about PDT partners but thanks for the comment!!
No, we haven’t discuss the bonus structure yet. And I also didn’t do any negotiations. They also mentioned they usually don’t hire new grad, so I’m not sure if they’re not familiar with the pay of new grads at BB.
I think my biggest concern would be the exit opps, in case things don’t work out. Like I said, I don’t see myself as extremely smart or talented, so I’m not sure if I can excel in this role.

exactly how can top 3 HF out of school pay less base than BB when BB base is like 120. Seems sus

Back