• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Bachelor of Mathematics New Graduate Resume Review

Hi, I am having a hard time getting interviews for quant trading/analyst roles. I am a recent graduate with a BSc in Mathematics from a top 3 Canadian university. I am looking for feedback on my resume.

1714724581922.png

Everyone will give you different advice, but I would give you 2 or 3 pieces of advice just after a cursory glance:
1) right off the bat you can remove the hobbies and interests, every hiring manager will see it as fluff and not necessary.
2) your bullet points for your internships are all quantity and no quality. Like for your SWE internship you write: "analyzed a 110,000-observation dataset using python." What does that even mean? Did you turn a csv file into a pandas dataframe and look at it? I assume you did more than that. What did you do with it? Like what did you actually analyze and what was the result of the analysis? You should ask those questions every single time you put a bullet point on your resume.

Everyone will give you different advice, but I would give you 2 or 3 pieces of advice just after a cursory glance:
1) right off the bat you can remove the hobbies and interests, every hiring manager will see it as fluff and not necessary.
2) your bullet points for your internships are all quantity and no quality. Like for your SWE internship you write: "analyzed a 110,000-observation dataset using python." What does that even mean? Did you turn a csv file into a pandas dataframe and look at it? I assume you did more than that. What did you do with it? Like what did you actually analyze and what was the result of the analysis? You should ask those questions every single time you put a bullet point on your resume.
Agreed.

Another one - you released a 27,000 line package. What if I could write the same thing in 10,000 lines. The number of lines is totally irrelevant. What business value did you provide? Does anyone use it? Did you write it or just release it?

And please, for the love of the English language, please (this goes for everyone) stop using “utilized”. Most people choose this word simply because they think it sounds more sophisticated. But they use the word incorrectly. So all you end up doing is exposing the fact that you don’t know the distinction between “used” and “utilized”, which defeats the purpose of sounding sophisticated.

Back