• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF 2012 first round/ second round?

I'm currently a undergrad senior studying at ohio state university, math and finance double major, with minor in statistics.I have strong interest in applying to CMU pittsburgh this coming fall, but I'm puzzled by my profile right now, because I got a low GPA, 3.47, which is below the average of admitted students this year. But I have a good GPA from math classes and high level finance classes, major force that dragged my GPA down was business core classes, such as intermediate accounting, marketing and some other general education curriculum courses.
I'm deciding on when to complete the application, by Nov. 1 or Jan.3? For Nov.1, I think usually first round stands for higher chances.However the reasons that are tempting me to postpone the completion to January are:I registered for GRE math subject test in October(primarily for UChicago application), I believe that results will be out in November, and I should be able to get around 85%(already had general test scores, V710/Q780) Also, due to the school system difference, i will start new classes in September and finish them in December, some classes are important such as C++(had java before), real analysis, SAS software. Hopefully good grades from these classes will also boost my chances. In addition to above profile, I just passed the June CFA I exam.
Suggestions from anyone would be much appreciated!!

CMU does not require a GRE Subject test, as you probably know. If you have exceptional math grades already, they speak enough for themselves already, so further proof that you are good in math would not really strengthen your application that much. First round is probably your best bet (the program does fill up as time goes by) - if I were you, I'd apply ASAP.

CMU does not require a GRE Subject test, as you probably know. If you have exceptional math grades already, they speak enough for themselves already, so further proof that you are good in math would not really strengthen your application that much. First round is probably your best bet (the program does fill up as time goes by) - if I were you, I'd apply ASAP.
Thanks Carlo, I agreed with your reasoning, I just need some time to make up mind..

I will be starting at Ohio State soon as a math major. This is a bit off topic but could you tell me what you thought about the program there?

I will be starting at Ohio State soon as a math major. This is a bit off topic but could you tell me what you thought about the program there?
Hi Dynamite, I think it really depends on the tracks you wish to pursue, I don't know anything about the educational math, but I'd say overall this is a good program.
If math is your only major, I'd recommend you to take the Honors math if possible and you will learn a lot there at the same time, you can build solid relationships with professors. There's really nothing to say about Act. Science, since as long as you do loads of practice exams and you can pass five exams, you should be good. The financial track just like what I'm following asks you to take the math that are required by MFE programs, say differential equations, linear algebra, multivariate calculus, stats etc. further more, stochastic calculus, numeric analysis are also taught.

I'd say as long as you make the effort, you should be good. GL on your study in OSU.

Further, advisors are very nice people, they are prompt in responding and willing to give suggestions. They constantly send out intern and job posts through emails, which is a good thing to have too.

Wow. Thanks a lot. Looks like I made the right choice!

I'm probably going to be doing honors math.

Back