• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

A Quant Role vs a Technology/IT Role in a Bank

Hello There

This is my first post on the QuantNetwork and I hope you guys will not disappoint me. I am a college going student who has reached a point in life where I need to make a decision between 2 career paths in the Financial Services Industry. My two choices are to go in for a Quantitative Analyst program or to go in for a Technology Analyst program (Both programs are in leading Investment Banks). I have actually worked in the Technology division of a bank and know exactly what the work culture and the work nature is like. My questions are as follows:

1) How different are the two roles (Technology Analyst vs Quantitative Analyst)?

2) Which of the two roles will give me an opportunity to grow, excel and to earn the big bucks quicker?

3) I am interested in doing an MBA at some point of time in my career. Which of the two career paths will actually need me to do an MBA or will make me work in a field relevant to MBA (which will ultimately help increase my chances of getting accepted to an MBA school)?

I hope to get some great responses from the smart people in this network!

I do ever so hate to disappoint...

Seriously? Read the entries that already exist on this forum and Wilmott forum... this has been answered a zillion times, in a zillion places.

I do ever so hate to disappoint...

Seriously? Read the entries that already exist on this forum and Wilmott forum... this has been answered a zillion times, in a zillion places.

I did look at the last 10 pages or so, and I could only find two posts that were related to my question (They were not the same!). If you do have links to entries similar to mine, I would appreciate it if you could post a link here. Thanks!

No offense, but you want to grow, excel and earn the big bucks... and also want me to trawl through this forum and find your answers for you?

Try searching, using the search tool. Look in particular for articles by Dominic Connor, consider sending him a CV to get a copy of his quant guide. Look up the name Mark Joshi, and get HIS pdf quant guide. Use google, look for (from memory) guides by "Michael Page Finance", and other similar career description/advice guides...

I am familiar with the feeling of uncertainty when it comes to how to progress with your career after study, and I really do sympathise, but it really gets tiring reading people ask the same questions time and again, when even a couple hours of trawling around the internet will provide you with a wealth of responses on this topic, after which you will be able to better direct your questions, and get better, more relevant answers.

Good luck.

No offense, but you want to grow, excel and earn the big bucks... and also want me to trawl through this forum and find your answers for you?

Try searching, using the search tool. Look in particular for articles by Dominic Connor, consider sending him a CV to get a copy of his quant guide. Look up the name Mark Joshi, and get HIS pdf quant guide. Use google, look for (from memory) guides by "Michael Page Finance", and other similar career description/advice guides...

I am familiar with the feeling of uncertainty when it comes to how to progress with your career after study, and I really do sympathise, but it really gets tiring reading people ask the same questions time and again, when even a couple hours of trawling around the internet will provide you with a wealth of responses on this topic, after which you will be able to better direct your questions, and get better, more relevant answers.

Good luck.

I am sorry for being lazy. I am trying to multi-task here. I am studying for a test and trying to find answers to questions about careers at the same time. Thank you for pointing me to the right people/resources. I will definitely look them up.

In the meantime, if anybody else has any guidance/tips/answers/information, please keep it coming! Thanks!

Hello There
1) How different are the two roles (Technology Analyst vs Quantitative Analyst)?

Technology analysts perform a variety of tasks to improve or maintain the computer systems of companies. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the demand for analysts will increase by 20 percent through 2018, resulting in the creation of 108,1000 new jobs.

Function
Sometimes called computer or systems analysts, technology analysts design new computer applications or software, prepare reports to show how well current computer systems function and diagnose problems with systems when they occur.

Types
Most technology analysts specialize in the computer systems of one particular field, such as accounting, engineering, health care or finance.

Skills
Successful technology analysts possess problem-solving abilities, analytical and logical reasoning skills and attentiveness to detail, reports the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Because they often write reports about system performance or give presentations about new technologies, written and oral communication skills are also necessary for the position.

Education
Typically, employers require technology analysts to have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a field like computer or information science, mathematics, engineering or physics. Some employers will only consider analysts who have a master's degree.

Compensation
As of May 2008, computer systems analysts averaged annual salaries of $78,830, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

2) Which of the two roles will give me an opportunity to grow, excel and to earn the big bucks quicker?

It's completely up to you to grow in any career. Not a single academic career ( I mean doing mental job ) has an upper limit. If you are good at quantitative subjects then I advice you on Quant. Again, if you are good at quantitative subjects then it'll prove to be much interesting than the TA.

3) I am interested in doing an MBA at some point of time in my career. Which of the two career paths will actually need me to do an MBA or will make me work in a field relevant to MBA (which will ultimately help increase my chances of getting accepted to an MBA school)?
For MBA I believe that Quantitative analyst career is far better choice though Technology analyst path doesn't prevent you from getting to MBA.

Hi TStone I enjoy your answers. As I follow your threads and answers it seems you are very knowledgeable about everything in quant. Can you please tell us little about your background, I mean education and work experience. I really appreciate that
Thank you
Arvin

Hi TStone I enjoy your answers. As I follow your threads and answers it seems you are very knowledgeable about everything in quant. Can you please tell us little about your background, I mean education and work experience. I really appreciate that
Thank you
Arvin

Thanks Arvin. I sent you a message. Will include the information at profile. Haven't looked on it quite a long

Good people make good money. Go with what you find most interesting. Statistically speaking, five years down the road you'll be doing something else anyway... but if you do something you actually like your compensation will reflect this as you won't do a crappy job (like you will if you loathe your job).

Worrying about compensation as an entry level worker anywhere is (in general) a bad idea. Go where you will be most nurtured.

Those are my two cents as far as advice goes.

Back