• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

A question from Vietnam

Tan

If you want something, go get it. Period.
Hi Quantnet, I am from Vietnam, I am recently received a BA of Banking and Finance but I'm desperately want to become a Quant.
Here are some of my background information:
- Bachelor of Banking and Finance, 2012, GPA 6.9/10 (It's not because I'm dumb but because I didn't pay attention to many dumb subjects in my program such as Marxism, Leninism, Law etc....)
- Passed level 1 of the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) Exam in December 2012, with all subjects achieved more than 70% (I take this exam to offset for my weakness in GPA).
- TOEFL iBT 93, 2012.
- Related to Math: 2 gold medals in Vietnam Mathematical Olympiad when I was in high school (2006 & 2007). Main contributor and editor of “Olympiad Inequalities: Ideas and Tricks”, Intuitive Mathematics Press, the book was published in Canada in 2009.
- Based on what I learned from Quantnet, I have read a few books of Quant (“Option, Futures,….” Of John C.Hull, “A primer for the mathematics….” Of Dan Stefanica). Although I have written a few code of optimizing stock portfolio in MATLAB myself, I haven't taken up any serious programming till now.

My main question is, what the next steps will be to participate in good MFE program, should I
a) Spending another 3-4 years to pursue Applied Math/Computer Science in US College, and then apply for MFE later (2 more years), this is a costly decision for me.
b) Working as a financial analyst for a few years and as the same time taking GRE & teaching myself some programming and math stuff, and then apply for MFE program in in some university in Asia (based on Quantnet Guide, I currently aim for Nanyang Technological University or University of Chicago’s Singapore Campus) . But since GRE is the only relate-to-math certificate that I’ll get, will it be enough to be accepted in MFE program? If not, then what should I do……

Back