• View the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Actuarial exams

Actually I have similar questions about actuarial exams. I took the Model for Financial Economics exam because I think the exam involves a lot of quant concepts (e.g. put-call-parity, binomial pricing, Black-Schole, Brownian motion) and by passing it I can show my interest in the subject and ability to understand and use the knowledge (though maybe superficially).

I know this may be naive, but is not the exam relevant to MFE?

Actually I have similar questions about actuarial exams. I took the Model for Financial Economics exam because I think the exam involves a lot of quant concepts (e.g. put-call-parity, binomial pricing, Black-Schole, Brownian motion) and by passing it I can show my interest in the subject and ability to understand and use the knowledge (though maybe superficially).

I know this may be naive, but is not the exam relevant to MFE?
MFE exam is definitely relevant to MFE. However, it is not theoretical in nature, and many MFE programs will require a theoretical grasp of those concepts.

Hey APalley,

I was wondering when you were going to show up to this thread... ;)

Thank you APalley!

I spent a month preparing for the exam (which was in Nov last year) and just knew that I passed it. Would it make me advantageous (even a bit) among the college students for the admission of MFE programs? (Especially Baruch, this is the one I really want to get in)

That would be bonus but there are many ways you can significantly improve your profile in the eye of the admission committee. I know C++ is a huge plus, specially at Baruch, and at other NYC-based programs.
So given limited time, one can choose which way to make the best of his profile. Taking actuarial exams aren't going to give you the best bang for your time/buck.

That would be bonus but there are many ways you can significantly improve your profile in the eye of the admission committee. I know C++ is a huge plus, specially at Baruch, and at other NYC-based programs.
So given limited time, one can choose which way to make the best of his profile. Taking actuarial exams aren't going to give you the best bang for your time/buck.

Thank you Andy! Actually my school teaches Java for computer science class so that I am more familiar with Java. But I am now self-studying for C++ and find many similarities between the two languages. At this stage (I am about to finalize my application in these two weeks) I do not think the C++ certificate by QuantNet will do too much help now..so how do I tell them I know C++ without the "factual information" that I can show in transcript/certificates? Any advice?

I think this question was asked and answered recently. I don't know the exact response top of my head but you can take a look at the old transcript here. At some programs, it's perfectly OK to use Java/VBA/ even Matlab/SAS to meet the programming requirement but I'm certain Baruch is very particular about the C++ requirement.
You probably can do a quick Ctrl+F in one of the chat transcript to search for it.
www.quantnet.com/live/

Back