• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Admission Chances

Hello, I'm Jordan.

I attend Michigan State University and I study computational mathematics and physics. I aspire to become a Quant, and I have full intentions on applying to MFE programs as my undergraduate studies come to a close. Exactly the reason I'm here, I'm trying to get a good idea of how my application will fare in this competitive race for MFE admissions.

Courses Taken:

As mentioned I am a computational math and physics major. My coursework in these subjects includes Calc1-3, DFQ, Advanced Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis, Numerical Analysis I & II, Statistical Mechanics, Nuclear Physics, Classical Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, Particle Physics, Probability I (Calc. Based), PDE, Intro to Fin. Math, and 1 class in regards to Actuarial Science through the math department.

GPA:

I have an overall GPA ~ 3.4 and expect it to remain the same until I apply. My maths GPA is a 3.6 and my physics GPA is a 3.3.

Letters of Rec:

1 ) For my Numerical Analysis II credit, I went through an independent study with a professor on a contemporary problem in combinatorics and numerical analysis. I also 4.0'd his Combinatorics / Graph Theory class.

2) My professor from that actuarial science class I mentioned is the head of the ActSci department at MSU. I 4.0'd his class, and have developed a more personal relationship with him than many teachers. He also went to Carnegie Mellon's PhD in Mathematics

3) My professor from my "Intro to Fin. Math" class. I 4.0'd his class and he will write me a good letter of rec I believe.

Work Experience:

1) MSU Department of Mathematics Teaching Assistant

2) MSU College of Engineering Web Application Developer

3) GE Aviation IT Internship (Master Data Management/Big Data)

As objectively as possible, I feel like my application is rather good between my letters of rec, coursework, and work experience. I know the main downfall is my GPA. I aspire to attend any of the top-15 schools on Quantnet's 2015 list, but I'm mainly interested in BostonU, UToronto, UCLA, UChicago, CMU, and Rutgers (despite it not being top-15).

Is there any input on my applications / potential for admission? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the positive response! I don't know if it's just my worrisome personality, but I'm very skeptical because of my GPA

Letters describing that you Aced a class are a dime a dozen, you want to get a letter from a faculty member that you have done research with, or something that separates you from the other 10+ people who also got A's in those classes. A senior research thesis is a great way to go about this. I did honors research in derivatives pricing and that helped my applications a lot.

I would take some graduate stochastic calculus/statistics courses also.

I think it would be highly fruitful to replace one of your letters from a professor with a letter from a supervisor, perhaps from the GE Internship. I personally have yet to apply to an MFE but I have researched that a mix between professional/academic letters highlighting performance is preferred than just purely academic.

I think CFA would help for UCLA application.
GRE Math subject would help for UChicago application.

I think CFA would help for UCLA application.
GRE Math subject would help for UChicago application.
you think or you are sure? have you spoken with the anybody in Admissions at both places to substantiate this or this is just speculation?

the OP will be wasting his time and money if this is not relevant.

I am not sure and this is just my speculation.

According to the admission requirement, GRE math is strongly recommended and very useful for admission committee.
However, I have not direct experience with UChicago.

During the admission process for UCLA, the interviewer was worried that I do not have CFA level 1.

Back