• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice on application for MFE

Hi, guys. I want some advice or evaluation on my background for MFE application. Is there any course or experience I can prepare more for my application?
Education background: 3.91/4.0 in China top 985. Rank: 1/23 in my major, 2/268 in the whole institution. Major: Financial Engineering. Second Degree: Computer Science
Mathematical classes: Mathematical analysis for 3 semesters. Advanced Algebra for 2 semesters. Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics for 2 semesters. Statistics. Economitrics(Regression analysis) , Financial Econometrics(Time-Series Analysis), ODE, Stochastic Process, Numerical Method
Programming classes: Python, SQL , C++(distinctive certificate on QuantNet)
Machine Learning: Intro to Data Science. Big data and Finance. Text analysis(NLP). These are all courses about machine learning
English Proficiency: IELTS:7.5 GRE:328
Competition: Kaggle(top10%, bronze medal). A ML competition held in China(top 5)
Internship: A new start-up fintech company. A security company. Two private equity asset management companies in China. A famous USA hedge fund (summer intern). All are about quant investment strategies. Totally over17 months
Plan to apply:
Baruch MFE
CMU MSCF
Princeton MFin(English is not good enough. No American learning experience)
UCBerkeley MFE
MIT MFin

Pretty strong background, I would say you have a great chance getting admitted to one of these programs if you do well in the interviews.
Agreed :) What I would then perhaps focus on is to improve your speaking and writing skills. This would prove quite worthy in interviews when applying to these programs, and when recruiting. The rest of your credentials are top-tier honestly. Let me know if I can help in any way, I'm always open to help applicants (I am at CMU myself); feel free to DM!

Agreed :) What I would then perhaps focus on is to improve your speaking and writing skills. This would prove quite worthy in interviews when applying to these programs, and when recruiting. The rest of your credentials are top-tier honestly. Let me know if I can help in any way, I'm always open to help applicants (I am at CMU myself); feel free to DM!
Thank you a lot! I have started a conversation with you and I sincerely hope I can get some advice from you as I am submitting CMU MSCF application now!

Thank you a lot! I have started a conversation with you and I sincerely hope I can get some advice from you as I am submitting CMU MSCF application now!
I am in high school and will be going to college un india what do you think i should do i mean courses or anything cfa or competition i mean anything

I am in high school and will be going to college un india what do you think i should do i mean courses or anything cfa or competition i mean anything
If you want to apply for MFE, I think that depends on your major. If you major in mathematics or technology, maybe you need more courses about finance like investment, asset management or derivatives. Vice versa, majoring in finance requiring more courses about coding like C++, python and maths like PDE, stochastic process.etc. What is important to all MFE applicants is that grades in coding/maths should be as high as possible to prove your strong technical background. Competition is for practical experiences, if you can secure internship, you can directly strenghthen your practical experiences through internship jobs in quant or Machine learning. But if you cannot secure one or cannot secure a satisfying one, maybe because you are too young or not enough positions to offer, competitions like Kaggle are also highly recognized, so you can give it a go. If you have other questions, feel free to contact me through linkedin or wechat if you have one

If you want to apply for MFE, I think that depends on your major. If you major in mathematics or technology, maybe you need more courses about finance like investment, asset management or derivatives. Vice versa, majoring in finance requiring more courses about coding like C++, python and maths like PDE, stochastic process.etc. What is important to all MFE applicants is that grades in coding/maths should be as high as possible to prove your strong technical background. Competition is for practical experiences, if you can secure internship, you can directly strenghthen your practical experiences through internship jobs in quant or Machine learning. But if you cannot secure one or cannot secure a satisfying one, maybe because you are too young or not enough positions to offer, competitions like Kaggle are also highly recognized, so you can give it a go. If you have other questions, feel free to contact me through linkedin or wechat if you have one
Would be very happy to have a chat pls share the link of. LinkedIn

Screenshot_2023-12-12-21-10-10-904_com.linkedin.android.jpg
sent you a connect request please accept

Back