• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Application Preparation Advice

Hi,

*Skip to the next part if you don't like reading lengthily words for nothing beneficial* I am an Vietnamese student in Electrical Engineering Program at University of Arkansas and will graduate next May. I haven't gotten a formal job offer yet, but my boss told me I can go back to the chemical company where I worked during my co-op with an OPT program. However, after 1 year internship in the company, I didn't really feel like doing what I had been doing, and started looking elsewhere I can use my love for math and bring me back to Asia without getting paid like $400/month. So I found Baruch MFE program which can fit both: heavily use of math (hopefully) and from the website it seems they have a strong connection in HK. I guess I will utilize my 29 months OPT to save up money for the tuition/living cost, plus 9 more months in school, so I have roughly 3 years to prepare for the application.

To make thing short, here are what I have now, can you give me some advice on how to improve myself for the application:
-GPA: 3.8x (don't know yet, but I should have A's this year), major in Electrical Engineering focus on Signal Processing and Control System.
-Calculus I till III, Linear Algebra, DiffEq, Probability & Stochastic (this was taken as an Processing class for engineering program, kind of slack off at the end, but I can go back and read the book)
-I use Matlab a lot for both classes and research so I am confident with my Matlab skill, but I haven't used C++ for like 2 years, so I don't feel very comfortable with it.
-Finance: haven't taken any class yet, I got some books from friends and really like reading them, but I am not sure if I can pack it in my 2 semester because of senior design. And I don't think they will let me take any high level class in finance either.
-GRE: I am studying for it, even though verbal is a pain. Will take it next summer when I am clear of school.
-Experience: 2 semesters co-op, one as instrumentation engineer, one as project engineer. I think they will make me do both in the OPT simply because we need technical design so bad, and I want to take charge of some projects also. Hopefully by the time I apply, I will have 2-3 years of experience.

I know 3 more years is a long time, but I prefer to have things planned out rather than knowing that I lack of something right before send in my application.

Thanks,

Everyone keeps pointing at C++. Most programs do not test the C++ skills prior to admission. Even CMU accepts people and then asks them to complete a C++ course after the admission. Mastering C++ would give you incremental advantage for admission (I don't know about Baruch on that). Concentrate on the GRE and get good recommendations.

Everyone keeps pointing at C++. Most programs do not test the C++ skills prior to admission. Even CMU accepts people and then asks them to complete a C++ course after the admission. Mastering C++ would give you incremental advantage for admission (I don't know about Baruch on that). Concentrate on the GRE and get good recommendations.
OP asked about the Baruch MFE program specifically and they are very particular with the C++ requirement. I know other programs would give you a pass on the programming part if you only mention Matlab, Excel, etc.

Thanks Andy, I will try my best to improve my C++ proficiency.
I might be wrong about their connection in HK as I looked up a bunch of schools and programs, and got messed up.

When I was applying for my undergraduate, I had to choose between finance and engineering. I liked both, but didn't know what I should do. So I went with engineering school, because I had heard it's easy to change from engineering to business, not the other way around. And then before I know it I am ready to graduate. I won't say I hate my job. The benefits are nice, hours are very flexible, and there is almost no pressure, . I just feel lack of motivation and need some changes, so I want to try the thing that I missed out as an undergraduate student.

And my parents insist that I get an business degree of some kind before I can go back. They spent their whole life saving on me, so I will do whatever the heck they ask me to. If not finance, I will get an MBA anyway. They mean well, only an engineering degree won't get me very far in my country where I live.

Thank you all for your replies.

Back