• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Applied math BS/MS, Some quantitative PhD, or MFE

Hi, I'm an undergraduate at a top 15 university in the U.S. I'm currently majoring in applied math and statistics and minoring in computer science and economics. I have the option next year to apply to the graduate program to get a masters degree in applied math in 5 years. Would this be a viable program of study to break into quantitative finance or would it be better to get a PhD in a quantitative discipline or an MFE?

The BS/MS program at my school is enticing to me as it would take much less time than a PhD and less money (and probably less time) than an MFE.

Thoughts?

Nice, thanks. I've become pretty proficient in Java and am currently working on R for an internship. Taking the second comp sci class next semester which is in C/C++ which I assume is the meet of quantitative finance.

How important is work experience in C++ for gaining a quant position? Is a minor or major in computer science enough or is work experience required? Also, does it matter what industry your programming experience is in?

Back